web start-up needs your opinion if you are a freelancer or self-employed

web start-up needs your opinion if you are a freelancer or self-employed

sam gyimah

We are a web start up – www.workology.com and are about to launch version 2 of our site which is to help freelancers and the self-employed address all the challenges around their critical business functions, so they can focus on what they do best – delivering their service.

We would really appreciate your opinion on the q’s below and if you are available to chat in more detail, then fantastic – just let us know.

-          What techniques work best when it comes to invoicing and getting paid on time?

-          How many clients do you service on average in a month?

-          What’s your average project length?

-          How do you tend to get paid (bank to bank, cash, cheque)?

-          If there was a service that you could use to perform all your business tasks would you prefer to pay a subscription or ebay style % charge as and when you use the service

Thanks so much for the help.  Please let us also know what industry you work in as well

Sam

RE: web start-up needs your opinion if you are a freelancer or self-employed

Anne-2-3
Please see my answers below, highlighted in blue.
With best wishes
Anne

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [entrepreneur-1056] web start-up needs your opinion if you are a freelancer or self-employed
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:27:28 -0500

We are a web start up – www.workology.com and are about to launch version 2 of our site which is to help freelancers and the self-employed address all the challenges around their critical business functions, so they can focus on what they do best – delivering their service.

We would really appreciate your opinion on the q’s below and if you are available to chat in more detail, then fantastic – just let us know.

-          What techniques work best when it comes to invoicing and getting paid on time?
Sadly, twice, the threat of legal action. Although on both occasions, this was when I've made the mistake of putting a project live as a favour, rather than waiting for final payment - something I'll never do again. I tend to have three-four payment requests throughout a project: before I begin; sign-off; and before the project goes live.

-          How many clients do you service on average in a month?
It varies between 2-4.

-          What’s your average project length?
3-12 months.

-          How do you tend to get paid (bank to bank, cash, cheque)?
Bank transfer, mostly. Very occasionally by cheque.

-          If there was a service that you could use to perform all your business tasks would you prefer to pay a subscription or ebay style % charge as and when you use the service
Theoretically, yes, I would pay a subscription. But I would need a clear understanding of the service, and clarity on its real value to me. For trialling it, and to make those lean months easier, perhaps it would be easier to pay-as-I-go. But it depends.

Thanks so much for the help.  Please let us also know what industry you work in as well

I have freelanced/been self-employed for 10 years. I work as an interactive designer/project manager and e-business strategy consultant.

Sam

Windows Live Hotmail just got better. Find out more!

RE: web start-up needs your opinion if you are a freelancer or self-employed

sam gyimah

Anne  - Thanks for this.  Very helpful. I see you’ve been freelancing for over ten years.  Where do you think a Workology could help you most in your business processes?  Once again, thanks. Sam