Will bootstrapping, crowdsourcing and crowdfunding be the future for techmedia start-ups?

Will bootstrapping, crowdsourcing and crowdfunding be the future for techmedia start-ups?

Paul Dowling

Will bootstrapping, crowdsourcing and crowdfunding be the future for techmedia start-ups?

It seems to me that technology and media start-ups have always found it difficult to find adequate start-up funding even in the good times. Now it is even more difficult. However, as founder and CEO of www.dreamstake.ning.com it occurs to me that the environment is becoming more conducive to a new more self contained business model with less reliance on external sources of funding.
Firstly, the bootstrapping of technology solutions has become a real possibility. The entry point for many technologies is extremely low, sometimes free of cost. Providers such as Ning, Google and Huddle offer a 'freemium' model that makes it extremely easy to launch 'beta' services at minimal cost. Open source also facilitates this process.
Next, there are many excellent individuals available to offer their services at good rates or even to barter services. The internet allows us to access this talent pool and consider the 'crowdsourcing' of projects as a real option. We are currently building this model on DreamStake and will announce our approach very shortly.
Finally, crowdfunding becomes a distinct possibility. In this model a community such as DreamStake elects to fund certain projects through the membership voting for the best.
I truly believe that we can change the model for launching ventures. We need to build up critical mass and put in place the structures to support this approach. It is all happening as we speak.and I appreciate everyones support and patience in making it a success.

If you are not already a member please join on www.dreamstake.ning.com.  We are having an event tomorrow evening which will be a quick way to find out more about our plans.

Best regards,

Paul Dowling

Re: Will bootstrapping, crowdsourcing and crowdfunding be the future for techmedia start-ups?

Santosh Panda
Hi Paul,
Looking forward to this event. Though there has been angel investors and startup incubation initiatives, its interesting to see your 'different' initiatives.

-Santosh

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Paul Dowling <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

CEO & Chief Software Architect
Signure Technologies
www.Signure.com

UK
14 Birchwood Close
Morden, London
SM4 5NH, UK
Phone : +44.208.640.4659

India
12, R. M. Corner, Paud Road, Kothrud
Pune 411 038 INDIA
Phone : +91.20.2528.6616

RE: Will bootstrapping, crowdsourcing and crowdfunding be the future for techmedia start-ups?

Simon Jenner

Paul,

It may be interesting to have a chat maybe there are things we could do together?

Thanks

Simon

Simon Jenner, stirring the pot of entrepreneurial magic

inbizvest - Dragons' Den for the internet

Chief Entrepreneur

[hidden email]

M: 07900 885371

Web: www.inbizvest.com

Twitter: @inbizvest

Blog: blog.inbizvest.com

Re: Will bootstrapping, crowdsourcing and crowdfunding be the future for techmedia start-ups?

Michael Wolff-2

Paul

Thanks for this insightful post.

Having been in development for several years we are now 2 – 3 months away from generating sufficient revenue to cover our costs. But our investors, having suffered major losses on all their other investments, have lost the stomach to continue. We have been bootstrapping for 4 months now and are about £30k short of reaching sustainability.

Our business is a platform enabling entrepreneurs to create virtual outsourcing businesses with almost zero capital. I would be very interested in discussing a crowdsourcing/crowdfunding solution that would help us over this current hump.

Michael

Michael Wolff - CEO

http://ki-work.com

tel +44 (0) 1667 452123  mob +44 (0) 7788 870262  skype michaelwolff

http://ki-work.com/ki-profile/michaelwolff

http://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelwolff

http://twitter.com/michaelwolff

ki work - powering the online business revolution

Re: Will bootstrapping, crowdsourcing and crowdfunding be the future for techmedia start-ups?

emile emiabata
Paul,

I am the founder of a soon to launch offering to be called ishare. It is creating local neighbourhood skills and resource share networks - groups and partners for which can be found online and will meet twice monthly- to channel the vast quantity of underused skills and resource within neighbourhoods into networks where they can be shared among enterprises seekng to create high grade enterprises without having to source funds to attract the skills that drive the enterprise forward until financial sustainability is achieved. This is the fundamental shortfall area in the wealth creation chain.

ishare's methodology is about output focused skills and service sharing ie forget about the usual fiscal rate .....you do this for me, I do that for you - agreed? Yes... great heres an agreement stating that, now lets get on with it!! Enabling someone to effectively create a shopping list of the skills and services required to build their enterprise.

The other great benefit is the strength and self reliance it builds within local communities.

ishare is seeking local partners who are able to head up these local networks - 1 per postcode in the London region (we are still developing our venues network in the other regions). Preferably small private enterprises. The ishare local partner opportunities are guaranteed to generate a great deal of exposure and revenue for the local partner both locally and further afield. The local partners role is simply to host the events, at no cost to themslves in local venues - estimated 8 hours a month.

To become an ishare local partner please contact me on:-

t: 0798 444 1701