What price?

don-9
Hi everyone,

We are about to do a workshop, for one week, in a school. It will be based around Business, Enterprise and Entrepreneurial skills. Part of the week will see the students filming. We want them to have contact with business owners and professionals, so we will be arranging the students to work with film industry professionals and they will make Adverts/Commercials. It will be for local businesses along the High Street - but 'big' companies could also be included.

We provide our service free to schools but require sponsorship to continue. We would really appreciate it if you cold answer the two questions at the bottom of this email.

Could you please imagine that you are the decision maker in your business (something based on the High Street - newsagents, printing shop, estate agents etc.) and you're VERY happy that we will be  offering you the following and (at this point) no more, no less and no negotiation!

  1. students will make an advert/commercial for your business.
  2. you will give us a brief.
  3. you will be able to attend the planning stage of your advert with the students.
  4. you will give us any quotes or copy that you want to be included.
  5. we will deliver your advert on a dvd (you can make as many copies as you wish!)
  6. your advert will appear on DE website.
  7. your advert will appear on YouTube (or not - it's your choice).
  8. on YouTube the students will be involved in a separate competition to promote as many hits to the video as possible.
  9. your advert will be screened within the screen - especially on parents evening.
  10. your advert will have a screening at the local cinema (we think that you will be able to invite other people to attend).
  11. at the cinema screening, press will attend.
  12. you understand that you will benefit publicly - positive press coverage etc.
  13. you will understand that you will have a direct - and positive - impact on students and benefit them.
  14. you will be able to advertise your positive CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility).
  15. that's it!!!

Now, let's assume that you LOVE what you hear and want to get involved. Please tell us:

  1. how much do you think this is worth? £
  2. how much will you offer to pay for it? £

I would really appreciate knowing what value you would suggest for this.

Thank you very much.

Sue

Re: What price?

Fletch-2
Hi Sue,

That's a really difficult couple of questions!

Answer 1. No idea without having seen any examples/
Answer 2. £250 plus an ongoing royalty calculated off the results, and to be priced after discussion about the metrics?

Sorry if this seems insulting, but I love the concept.

Cheers - Fletch
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM, don <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Web: http://blog.mydnd.com
Tel: +44 7518 345679
Twitter: @fletchnz

Grandfather's Biz (c1942): arcltd.blogspot.com

The contents of this email and all its attachments may contain privileged or confidential information. It is intended solely for the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. No one else may copy or forward all or any of it in any form. If you receive this email in error, we would be grateful if you would delete it and call or email the sender.

Re: What price?

Luke Glen
I agree with Fletch,

Great idea for startups..... Is this offer coming from http://www.filmbase.ie/index.php

Sue, there are lots of questions I guess we could take offline, however yes at a high level, it sounds like an interesting model. I too would like to see some samples first and would like to get your ideas measuring success of the viral aspect. I too would offer a lower initial fee, then offer royalities based on performance....not just getting big numbers of viewers from viral campaigns, but instead, measurable/quantifiable statistics on actions taken caused by the video that result in direct revenue generation....then it is easier to come up with a royalty/success fee. We have all seen the occasional youtube video that generates 10million viewers, but so what? how does one measure the revenue generating success of that video without some measurable call-to-action derived from it.

Regards,

Luke Glen
Founder / Chief Spotter
SpotiD UK Ltd
+44 7748 788499
http://www.spotid.me

On Thu 22/04/10  8:44 PM , Fletch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to EVERYONE on
>
> Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 |

> Web: http://blog.mydnd.com [4]
> Tel: +44 7518 345679
> Twitter: @fletchnz
>
> Grandfather's Biz (c1942): arcltd.blogspot.com [5]
>
> The contents of this email and all its attachments may contain privileged
> or confidential information. It is intended solely for the ordinary user
> of the email address to which it was addressed. No one else may copy or
> forward all or any of it in any form. If you receive this email in error,
> we would be grateful if you would delete it and call or email the sender.
>
> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to EVERYONE on
>
> Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 |

Re: What price?

don-9
Fletch & Luke - MANY thanks for the feedback. Very much appreciated.

Luke - the website you highlighted is new to me! Can't believe I've never heard of it before, but had a nose around. We're not linked. Very happy (keen) to hear your views offline because this really is a great forum to (positively) pull apart ideas - and help assemble them again.

So very happy to hear more views and opinions and offer more of our current thinking and planning.

Thanks again and hope to hear more!

Thank you,

Sue

RE: What price?

Adam Gordalsi
Hi Sue

Love the concept and think that it's just what small business needs. In fact I would say it's rather along our ethos too. We are making outdoor digital advertising available to those who normal can't afford it or can't find the opportunity. We also have a social responsibility philosophy giving space to charity, promoting local community and business.

The service that you are suggesting is comprehensive and I would say that if you where to offer this around the £200 to £250 mark then you can't go too wrong. I suggest this price bracket as you are using students to create and that there are seasoned professionals and companies out there now realising the gap in the market at this level. They are putting together professional adverts for small business from £400 to £700 typically for about 30 seconds.

If you are interested in talking about synergies and opportunities with us please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Hope this helps.

Also

Adam Gordalsi
vuemotion
359 Roman Road
London
E3 5QR
mobile: 07903 462 865
fax: 0845 004 5790
email: [hidden email]
www.vuemotion.com
0845 868 0789
vuemotion updates: http://www.twitter.com/vuemotion

> [...]

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to EVERYONE on
>
> Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 |

> Web: http://blog.mydnd.com [4]
> Tel: +44 7518 345679
> Twitter: @fletchnz
>
> Grandfather's Biz (c1942): arcltd.blogspot.com [5]
>
> The contents of this email and all its attachments may contain privileged
> or confidential information. It is intended solely for the ordinary user
> of the email address to which it was addressed. No one else may copy or
> forward all or any of it in any form. If you receive this email in error,
> we would be grateful if you would delete it and call or email the sender.
>
> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to EVERYONE on
>
> Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 |

Irene Rukerebuka
* how much do you THINK this is worth? £

Depends on where this will reach-regionally or nationally? or
Internationally? Also this would depend on the business you are
targetting and how worth it-so I would create different price
structures. £500-1,250K

* how much WILL you offer to pay for it? £

I would only pay for it after you have me further detail of the SROI
and you showed me examples of how this would work-I'm the sort of
person that want rest until I get the job done to the best it can be,
so I would need that confirmation. A lot of businesses/companies
promise the earth but are very lazy about delivering that after they
have received their check,I'm thinking PR companies here, so I would
need that 'trust,value' proposition...

There was this Film Festival in my local area and they offered around
75% of what you were plus the CSR etc but they did the bear min to get
the ROI, which doesn't look good. They were nice guys and the Festival
was interesting but the sponsorship's agenda was to get £ to sustain
the festival. I know that what makes sense but you should have a
double bottom line-profit for festival AND ROI for the business you
have chased to work with you.

IR

--
Irene Rukerebuka

m: 07826255452

t: www.twitter.com/rantersparadise
w: www.hubnovation.org.uk
l:http://uk.linkedin.com/in/irenerukerebuka

Re: What price?

Sue

See inline >>> please note I am writing this sitting in 40 degrees heat, hence take with a pinch of salt, and also am playing devils...

RE: What price?

Adam Gordalsi

Hi Sue

See inline “inline”. By way of our experience and maybe to help you fine tune your offer [Hope you don’t mind but I think you could strip out some of the offer elements as they seem a little unnecessary]

See below……………… Hope it helps

Adam Gordalsi

vuemotion

359 Roman Road

London

E3 5QR

mobile: 07903 462 865

fax: 0845 004 5790

email: [hidden email]

www.vuemotion.com

0845 868 0789

vuemotion updates: http://www.twitter.com/vuemotion

See inline >>> please note I am writing this sitting in 40 degrees heat, hence take with a pinch of salt, and also am playing devils...

We are about to do a workshop, for one week, in a school. It will be based around Business, Enterprise and Entrepreneurial skills. Part of the week will see the students filming. We want them to have contact with business owners and professionals, so we will be arranging the students to work with film industry professionals and they will make Adverts/Commercials. It will be for local businesses along the High Street - but 'big' companies could also be included.

We provide our service free to schools but require sponsorship to continue. We would really appreciate it if you cold answer the two questions at the bottom of this email.

Could you please imagine that you are the decision maker in your business (something based on the High Street - newsagents, printing shop, estate agents etc.) and you're VERY happy that we will be  offering you the following and (at this point) no more, no less and no negotiation!

>>> I know that you have said that I am VERY happy, if so, then £250 may not be a problem, but assuming I am less than VERY, then I may have a problem

Many small businesses that REALISE the value the around £250 mark represents WILL be happy

  1. students will make an advert/commercial for your business.
  2. you will give us a brief.

This is VERY true. Our experience with small business owners and filling in design briefs is a difficult one. On the one hand they just let you deal with it which means more work for you  and on the other they insist on doing it themselves but take an absolute age, holding up the deal.

  1. you will be able to attend the planning stage of your advert with the students.

>>> Do you think I have time for this, I run a shop from dawn to dusk, and am self employed

They rarely have time for this. Maybe on or two do but on the whole they don’t!

  1. you will give us any quotes or copy that you want to be included.

>>> What if I have none, will you give ?

Many cases they don’t and you have to be more creative. At this level/price bracket it often turns out to be your responsibility as they don’t have the budget to get copy writers in. You have come to them with a solution, sold them something they didn’t know they wanted/needed. What do you do forget the deal because they don’t have the copy that you would ideally have?

  1. we will deliver your advert on a dvd (you can make as many copies as you wish!)

>>> Um why do I need this, I am not going to show this to my family nor friends after dinner

  1. your advert will appear on DE website.

>>> How many hits do you have, and how many of these will come from people who walk down my street/area

  1. your advert will appear on YouTube (or not - it's your choice).

>>> Why do I need that, how many of the people in my high street will see it, and actually care.

I would say that in most cases this won’t be useful. You could strip it out of the offer as it probably won’t get you many extra sales.

  1. on YouTube the students will be involved in a separate competition to promote as many hits to the video as possible.

>>> See point above

See point above

  1. your advert will be screened within the screen - especially on parents evening.

>>> Okay is the school nearby, if so, maybe interesting, how many slots, how many views per hour etc etc

Interesting…this is our business! J

  1. your advert will have a screening at the local cinema (we think that you will be able to invite other people to attend).

On the whole I would take this out save the agro!

  1. at the cinema screening, press will attend.

>>> Local press, okay

  1. you understand that you will benefit publicly - positive press coverage etc.

>>> No not really, I am in the public eye anyhow, I am a shop on the highstreet, and all the locals know me

  1. you will understand that you will have a direct - and positive - impact on students and benefit them.

  1. you will be able to advertise your positive CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility).

>>> Do I care :-)

  1. that's it!!!

Now, let's assume that you LOVE what you hear and want to get involved. Please tell us:

  1. how much do you think this is worth? £

  1. how much will you offer to pay for it? £

I would really appreciate knowing what value you would suggest for this.

Thank you very much.

Sue

Re: What price?

don-9
Iqbal, Adam - many thanks for 'inline' and the devils' advocacy.

All great points and got us thinking... Are we offering too much? There's actually much MORE for us to give with this video that I haven't admitted yet - and I'm afraid that it all may seem like overkill now! Potentially we'll also do:

  • marketing ideas (including branding an logo/taglines) on paper.
  • a business plan (pdf)
  • a ppt presentation
  • the adverts (or even drama pieces)
  • opportunity to interview students for future work-placement (summer job?)
  • cinema screening is more of an event to enjoy the work that the students have done as a whole.
  • an advert for them in our booklet that will go to all students, teachers and parents.

So we can, if necessary, create their entire campaign! (We'll only use their brief if they want more of a hands-on role.)

Please bear in mind all material will be put together by 14-15 year old students and because of our style of work (with the students) we really get them working within a focused, motivated and energetic environment.

We'd like businesses to see it firstly as their CSR contribution - but also having active involvement in their local community and direct access to their local school (students, parents, teachers).

Is this too much?
Do you think businesses could see the value of it?

For lesser involvement, stricter guidelines, less flexibility, fixed annual costs and NO warm fuzzy feeling inside, Yell.com charges £1,100 for a 30 second advert...

Thanks,

Sue

RE: What price?

Adam Gordalsi

Hi Sue

I would say that it might indeed be worth reviewing what you are offering and to whom. On the face of it the offer sounds comprehensive and attractive however my thoughts are that it is too much to offer as one product. You could maybe look at all the principle functions and see which ones would actually be useful to potential contacts, then even sell the more fluffy as add-ons to a core product. My experience is offer what you think they need rather than everything you think they should have. The sell will be easier and the work load more defined. I understand that you want to provide the students with real world experience but there should be a balance between what the students need and what your clients need.

In regards to the yell.com/£1100 30 second advert, personally I wouldn’t use this as a principle guide. Yell charge what they charge and you can find people charging much more than this. Often people will just go with what’s easier for them and what’s sold to them, quite often they don’t have the knowledge, time  or desire to get out there and find what else is out there.

There are companies that I’m currently talking to who are offering video advert creation from conception to creation from the £500 mark. Important to remember that these guys come with a wealth of experience/professionalism and are not students [not matter how talented and mentored].

Hope this helps further.

Best regards