What are the expectations from the CEO of a startup?

What are the expectations from the CEO of a startup?

adi-4
What are the expectations from the CEO of a start-up?

Adi

Re: What are the expectations from the CEO of a startup?

Larry-6
Very different from one Ceo to another  ?

Who could make a working tipology  ?

Best regards/ Cordialement
Larry/Laurent Guyot-Sionnest
+33(0) 6 74 19 91 33

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:15, adi <[hidden email]> wrote:
What are the expectations from the CEO of a start-up?

Adi

Re: What are the expectations from the CEO of a startup?

Deborah Huisken
Adi -

A short version:

  1. Outward-facing - To understand the market, position the product accurately in that market, generate revenue, and guide the growth of the company
  2. Inward-facing - to hire the right people and create a company culture that supports doing #1
In fact, it's as unique as the circumstances of each company, which is to say as unique as a fingerprint...

Deborah

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 5:15 AM, adi <[hidden email]> wrote:
What are the expectations from the CEO of a start-up?

Adi

Deborah
------------------------------
Deborah Huisken, PCC
Dancing Star International
Partnering with savvy entrepreneurs to
 develop their businesses and themselves
UK cell:  0798 521-4520
VoIP:  +1 617 275-5706
Skype:  deborahhuis
Blog:  www.dancingstar.com/blog
[hidden email]
www.DancingStar.com

RE: What are the expectations from the CEO of a startup?

Christopher Bristow

I think it’s better summed up as being ready and able to do anything. One of the biggest mistakes is that CEOs of start-ups want to start acting like a FTSE 100 CEO. The title is the same but the circumstances are vastly different.

As mentioned before on this forum, you have to be close to everything. The company, your product/service, your prospective clients, your colleagues/employees/shareholders, etc are all a work-in-progress requiring tweaking and adjustment.

The question should perhaps be at what stage of a start-up does the title match the job description...

Re: What are the expectations from the CEO of a startup?

Omkar Joshi

Sell. Sell. Sell.

SELL – The product/service to the customer

SELL – The vision to the employees/partners

SELL – The potential to the investors/shareholders

Overly simplistic – I agree. But then I cannot think of anything else that is more important for someone at the top..

Good luck,

Omkar

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:15 AM, adi <[hidden email]> wrote:
What are the expectations from the CEO of a start-up?

Adi

Re: What are the expectations from the CEO of a startup?

Interesting question, you say 'expectation', I guess the answer would depend on who is expecting this :

1. What do employees expect
2. What do customers expect
3. What do investors expect
4. What does the 'business' expect
5. What does the rest of the world expect :-)

This is why the question is so hard to answer. Also the expectations change as the company grows, but I guess this is true for most people in the team, they need to grow and adapt themselves to the requirements of a company.

So in early stage, I guess he has to have the vision, and guide and motivate the team, he does not need to focus on sales, except selling the vision internally. As it grows I guess he need to be able to reate this vision into a more formal document, called a business plan, which maybe able to express his vision to a larger audience. As time goes on, and to me this is crucial, all CEO's must be able to do the first sale. If they are lacking these skills, they need to be able to bring others into the team who can do this, and they need to be the 'driver' and ensure everyone stays on track.

I could go on, and this list would cover most skills sets of other employees.

If I were an investor, I would expect the CEO to be able to ensure the product development and customer development and both aligned and kept on track. Whether he does this by rolling up his own sleeves, or has the ability to get others to do it with/for him to me does not matter, its about getting it done.

I would concur with Omkar below, in that its all about selling, but then isn't that what we all do, politics and sales, in every walk of our lives :-)

Iqbal