Voice over internet

Fabrice Ward
Voice over internet
Hi all,

Does anyone know any developers who know about voice over internet applications like Skype? What’s involved in developing them, what’s available ‘off the shelf’ etc?

Any leads much appreciated.

Regards,

Fabrice

Re: Voice over internet

Chris Powell-2
No expert but I do know there are plenty of VoIP APIs out there you can
use: Jaduka for example plus Skype has its own API. For PBX type stuff
Asterix has an API.

You should be aware that Skype VoIP is non-standard
(http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/press_release.php?id=76) but has recently
jumped onto the open standard SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) for
business VoIP, presumably to connect to standard PBXs.

Regards
Chris Powell
mindyourstreet.com

Fabrice Ward wrote:

>     Hi all,
>
>     Does anyone know any developers who know about voice over internet
>     applications like Skype? What’s involved in developing them,
>     what’s available ‘off the shelf’ etc?
>
>     Any leads much appreciated.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Fabrice
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "*REPLY*", your message will be sent to
>
> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

Re: Voice over internet

Damjan Dvorsek

I would agree with Chris there are plenty of solutions available off the shelf.
Here are some open source solutions
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Open+Source+VOIP+Software.
It all depends on what you want.

Cheers,
Damjan

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Chris Powell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No expert but I do know there are plenty of VoIP APIs out there you can use:
> Jaduka for example plus Skype has its own API. For PBX type stuff Asterix
> has an API.
>
> You should be aware that Skype VoIP is non-standard
> (http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/press_release.php?id=76) but has recently
> jumped onto the open standard SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) for business
> VoIP, presumably to connect to standard PBXs.
>

> Regards
> Chris Powell
> mindyourstreet.com
>

> Fabrice Ward wrote:
>>
>>    Hi all,
>>
>>    Does anyone know any developers who know about voice over internet
>>    applications like Skype? What?s involved in developing them,
>>    what?s available ?off the shelf? etc?
>>
>>    Any leads much appreciated.
>>
>>    Regards,
>>
>>    Fabrice
>>

>> --
>> Please Note: If you hit "*REPLY*", your message will be sent to *everyone*
>>
>> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
>> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

Re: Voice over internet

Neil Mendoza

Here's a new telephony web service API which looks pretty cool...  http://www.twilio.com/

Neil.
--
Web: http://www.ninjazoo.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/zapme

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Damjan Dvorsek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I would agree with Chris there are plenty of solutions available off the shelf.
Here are some open source solutions
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Open+Source+VOIP+Software.
It all depends on what you want.

Cheers,
Damjan

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Chris Powell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> No expert but I do know there are plenty of VoIP APIs out there you can use:
> Jaduka for example plus Skype has its own API. For PBX type stuff Asterix
> has an API.
>
> You should be aware that Skype VoIP is non-standard
> (http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/press_release.php?id=76) but has recently
> jumped onto the open standard SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) for business
> VoIP, presumably to connect to standard PBXs.
>

> Regards
> Chris Powell
> mindyourstreet.com
>

> Fabrice Ward wrote:
>>
>>    Hi all,
>>
>>    Does anyone know any developers who know about voice over internet
>>    applications like Skype? What?s involved in developing them,
>>    what?s available ?off the shelf? etc?
>>
>>    Any leads much appreciated.
>>
>>    Regards,
>>
>>    Fabrice
>>

>> --
>> Please Note: If you hit "*REPLY*", your message will be sent to *everyone*
>>
>> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
>> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

Re: Voice over internet

Peter Cunningham
You could look at OpenWengo, Asterisk, Gnomemeeting if you are an Open Source fan

<http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/>

> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to

Re: Voice over internet

Fabrice Ward
Re: [entrepreneur-1056] Voice over internet Thanks for the leads, I now know why I haven’t unsubscribed from this group.

It’s all a little over my head though. Are any of you expert in this area or know anyone who is?

Fabrice Ward wrote:

>     Hi all,
>
>     Does anyone know any developers who know about voice over internet
>     applications like Skype? What’s involved in developing them,
>     what’s available ‘off the shelf’ etc?
>
>     Any leads much appreciated.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Fabrice
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "*REPLY*", your message will be sent to
<http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/>

> Meetup Support: support@...
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to

Meetup Support: support@...

Re: Voice over internet

Laiq Ur Rehman
Fabrice,

I have been working on VoIP projects for more than 3 years now. Please contact me on my personal email , if you would like to discuss your requirement or query further .

Fabrice Ward wrote:

>     Hi all,
>
>     Does anyone know any developers who know about voice over internet
>     applications like Skype? What’s involved in developing them,
>     what’s available ‘off the shelf’ etc?

>     Any leads much appreciated.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Fabrice
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "*REPLY*", your message will be sent to
<http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/>

> Meetup Support: support@...
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to

Meetup Support: support@...

Laiq Ur Rehman
+44 780 961 5514

RE: Voice over internet

Dominic Williams

Re: VoIP, the best solution would be:

1.       Develop your IVR systems on asterisk, which is very powerful and open source. See asterisk.org to find out more

2.       If you want to integrate with Skype, they have a beta program allowing routing of calls to/from asterisk. You need to apply to be part of this program and get the software.

Hope this helps,

Dominic

Fabrice Ward wrote:

>     Hi all,
>
>     Does anyone know any developers who know about voice over internet
>     applications like Skype? What’s involved in developing them,
>     what’s available ‘off the shelf’ etc?
>
>     Any leads much appreciated.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Fabrice
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "*REPLY*", your message will be sent to
<http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/>

> Meetup Support: support@...
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to

Meetup Support: support@...

Laiq Ur Rehman
+44 780 961 5514

Re: Voice over internet

I do not do VoIP anymore, but developing a Skype type client is not difficult anymore, except the codec, i.e the compressions technique the application uses to maintain voice quality but reduce bandwidth consumption. Skype has its own, but there are opensource onces like speex (maybe others now) that do a gd job.

The jey is to work out what you need to do with it, comps can license xlite type of sofware and whitelabel it for there own needs these days, hence you may not need to build anything just whitelabel it of a provider, some do it on a per user basis. Again it all comes down to what you end game is.

But in short you need
1. A softphone client - something which works on a PC
2. These days you need a mobile SIP (protocol which most use for VOIP) also, or at least get comps like Fring, Truphone to incorporate yours into theres
3. A backend platform, a combo of Asterisk, + Openser (SER) will work great, of just go off the shelf
4. Some sort of billing, astbill comes to mind, but lots more out there
5. IP Phones, if you want people to use handset looking devices, i.e not a PC
6. Distribution channel :-)

Regards
Iqbal Gandham
L: www.linkedin.com/in/iqbal
S: feelin_tired
W: www.iqbalgandham.com

Fabrice Ward wrote:

>     Hi all,
>
>     Does anyone know any developers who know about voice over internet
>     applications like Skype? What?s involved in developing them,
>     what?s available ?off the shelf? etc?
>
>     Any leads much appreciated.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Fabrice
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "*REPLY*", your message will be sent to
<http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/>

> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

--
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to

RE: Voice over internet

Carel Solomon

Hi Fabrice,

We might be able to help you with this. We’re Telecoms consultants and do a lot of Asterisk / VoIP development. Perhaps you can email me directly ([hidden email]) or we can have a chat at Open Coffee this Thu.

Regards,

Carel

Carel Solomon   -   managing director  -  (t)  020 8099 4881  -  (m)  0777 3282 693  -  (w)  www.genzee.co.uk
genzee limited | Voice Solutions | IT Consultancy | Web Development
registered in england & wales. 05444125 vat no. 864026430  registered office. 31 Twickenham Gardens, London HA3 6BG