Quantcast

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] How to manage Equity based developer in the UK?

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] How to manage Equity based developer in the UK?

mike watson-3
Hi Jeev,

Exactly what Boris said. Eventually, "you get what you pay for". Furthermore, one has to make a living. From my experience, this type of relationship is rarely successful.

Uri

Uri Avissar
Seraph Consulting Inc.
+972-526763957
Skype: uavissar

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 5:14 PM, Boris Sebosik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jeev,

in the current market, unless you’re working on something absolutely mind blowing -or- your product already generates profit and you are growing exponentially, you’ll probably have a hard time keeping a developer motivated on an equity / commission model without cash.

Best
Boris

On 8 Mar 2017, 09:12 +0000, Jeev Sahoo <[hidden email]>, wrote:

Dear LOC members,

This is an ask/request for advice more than referrals (which are also welcome)!

While working with some outsourced developers, a startup felt the need of having someone here in the UK. We found one willing (and very talented developer) – after working for a while, he moved on once he got a full-time paid role with a giant firm (we learned lessons on how to formulate the agreement next time). This is a friend’s startup – I am a micro investor in it.

Now we are happy to offer equity and commission to someone willing to work together on a startup needing LAMP coding skills with asymmetric encryption – current code is in PHP though we have been advised to move away from PHP. Person can have additional jobs as long as s/he can juggle her/his own time without affecting life/work.

More than referrals (which we find through angel.co and workinstartups.com), can the members share their experience in how to keep the developer motivated? Have you found issues with ‘technically competent and willing but less friendly’ members?

What advice comes to mind – please share! Thank you

Best regards,

Jeev

Avast logo

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] How to manage Equity based developer in the UK?

mike watson-3
You have to realise that a good dev can easily make £550 or more per day (£1k+ if working for banks), so the opportunity cost is high. Why would they work for sweat equity for a small slice of your business when all depends on how you run and market the business?

When I have seen this work it has been the dev doing a few weeks of evenings and weekends and usually when they want to learn a new coding language and use you as a guinea pig to try it. But don't expect long term or daytime commitment.

Depending on how difficult it is you could try getting students on a project or work with devs offshore - a friend had a good experience with devs in Argentina. You need to pay them but it will be a lot cheaper

Sent from my iPhone