Re: Java Web Hosting?

stewart-5
Hi All

Also don't forget via Startup Essentials (Suns programme for Startups)
you can get discounted
hosting with Every City as well, lots have already (worldeka,
bookingbug,soundcloud,twitblogs,iplatform etc)

Go to http://uk.sun.com/startups sign up there and drop me a line, and
we can see what we can do
to help.

Check the UK startup scene, to get some back up on this, but the
companies we are dealing with arent
paying a massive amount of money per month for hosting, and also there
is the backup of talking to
a technical team who can do more than just take your money, we can
listen and advise as well.

Stewart

Steve Ganly wrote:

> Kamal,
>
> If you're bootstrapping, uk2.net offer very competitive servers
> and generous bandwidth. You can go a long way on their £59 per
> month dedicated server.  You'd need some Unix guy to set up the
> server with SE Linux, MySQL and the Java stack - we can help
> you with this if you don't have the skills in-house.
>
> The uk2 route allows reasonable upfront cost and lower ongoing
> running costs, so long as you have someone to keep an eye on
> the server for you.
>
> The alternative at the other end of the spectrum is someone like
> Rackspace who offer "fanatical support" but also charge you for
> it - they'll do you a quote based on your requirements, but it's
> normally at least 5 times the uk2 "sell the basic metal" cost.
>
> You can also go for a virtual host at Amazon or many other places
> (uk2 offer a VPS too), but you still have the admin cost on top.
>
> We're in the process of making a virtual server hosting offering
> since we're doing this for a bunch of Rails and PHP apps at the
> moment - spreading the cost of running redundant servers,
> management, monitoring and self repairing scripts. Not covering
> Java yet but it's not much of a leap - let me know if you'd like
> to talk more.
>
> As an aside, would anyone on the list be interested in a series
> of mini-presentations about hosting options and selections at
> or before the regular thursday meetings?
>
> A bit like BootLaw, this stuff is easy for us to talk about and
> useful for startups to get for free.  Maybe we should start a
> BootIT group.
>
> Steve Ganly.
>
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 06:00:39AM -0500, Kamal Patel wrote:
>
>> Hey Mike,
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback. Can you recommend a hosting company that will
>> support Tomcat , JDK and Struts?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kamal
>>
>> 2009/1/27 Mike Dewhirst <[hidden email]>
>>

>>> Hi Kamal,
>>>
>>> Without starting another Windows/Linux debate, I just wanted to point
>>> out that if you're using Java and MySQL, you would really be better
>>> off going for a Linux environment as there is better support for the
>>> tools with various free utilities and great community support. It is
>>> also cheaper then Windows.
>>>
>>> Windows is better if you have a .NET/ASP etc project and/or MS SQL Server.
>>>
>>> Ref Environment I'd also recommend you take a look at IntelliJ - a
>>> fantastic and highly productive Java development tool.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.

>>> not

>>> --
>>> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
>>>  Meetup Support: [hidden email]
>>> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

--
<http://www.sun.com/mysql> * Stewart Townsend *
Manager Startup Essentials EMEA

*Sun Microsystems, Inc.*
http://blogs.sun.com/startups
http://twitter.com/stewarttownsend
Phone x18133/+44-161-9058 133
Mobile +44 (0) 7876 396788
Email [hidden email]

Re: Re: Java Web Hosting?

Stuart-11-3
For cloud based hosting, I've been using GoGrid - you can get the first $99 free to try it out no risk. So far they've been very good.

I'm on ASP.Net, but Java is also very well covered - and the UK-US latency does not seem to be a problem.

Stuart

Re: Re: Re: Java Web Hosting?

Andrew J Scott

..and support a Brit startup!

The guys have got 15 years experience running hosting companies....