Quantcast

Looking for a reliable hosting company

Andrew Davison
Hi,

I'm working for a FMCG branding and packaging design agency in London.

We've started doing digital work and are looking for a reliable hosting company for our own website and ones we create for our clients.

After bad experiences I am keen to avoid the likes of Fasthosts and would ideally like to work with a smaller company that can offer excellent customer service, 24 hour engineering/technical support and with a scalable solution to cater from low traffic brochure websites to high-traffic e-commerce websites with ease.

Could interested companies please email me at [hidden email] and we'll talk further.

Thanks

Andrew

Re: Looking for a reliable hosting company

Liam Gooding
Andrew,

I've worked with many - and having a brother as a director in a large hosting company means I might be able to offer you some insight too.

Pop in when your next near the office

Kind Regards,

Liam Gooding
Managing Director
-------------------------
W: www.goodingsmedia.com
E: [hidden email]
Skype: liam.gooding_goodingsmedia

Goodings Media Ltd is registered in England and Wales. Company number 6669947.
VAT registered with HMRC number GB 940 5275 30.

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee, are strictly confidential and may be legally priveleged. If you are not the intended recipient, any reading, dissemination, copying or any other use or reliance is strictly prohibited.

On 11 May 2010, at 21:46, James Crowley wrote:

[...]

Adrian Said
Dear Andrew,

We can support you with your request. We are based in Malta and can offer a hi quality and cost effective solution. Can you forward more details?

Regards
Adrian

On 11 May 2010, at 19:59, "Andrew Davison" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm working for a FMCG branding and packaging design agency in London.

We've started doing digital work and are looking for a reliable hosting company for our own website and ones we create for our clients.

After bad experiences I am keen to avoid the likes of Fasthosts and would ideally like to work with a smaller company that can offer excellent customer service, 24 hour engineering/technical support and with a scalable solution to cater from low traffic brochure websites to high-traffic e-commerce websites with ease.

Could interested companies please email me at [hidden email] and we'll talk further.

Thanks

Andrew

Re: Looking for a reliable hosting company

Luke Glen
Gday,

From current and recent, painful personal experience, I'd steer very clear of www.virtualservers.com for the following reasons:

- they claim 24x7 support on their site, but after 5:30pm they only accept online support tickets, no phone or email support.

- support tickets cannot be prioritised, so your issue of 'My live production website is down. Fix it urgently' does not get any higher preference than 'Can you change my contact email address?'

- support issues are promised to be assigned to a tech within 24 hours (note I say assigned, not resolved)

- backups are not free nor automatic, even though they claim to be on their website.

- they have to stop your entire VPS while they take a backup, which happens incrementally everyday, and since the VPS round-robin backups are queued, you don't know what time your site will be non-operational while the backup is happening

- you need to write your own scripts to restart any processes once the VPS is bought back on line

- their VPSs crash far too often...unrecoverably...requiring the VPS to be reinstalled and your backup restored

I don't need to continue....I've vented enough! Save yourself misery and expense.

Thanks James, I am actively exploring the options you & others have suggested here. I'm escalating my migration to a new hosting company asap.

Luke

[...]

kamran-2
Try simply.com

From: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [entrepreneur-1056] Looking for a reliable hosting company
To: [hidden email]
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 17:56:21 -0400

Gday,

From current and recent, painful personal experience, I'd steer very clear of www.virtualservers.com for the following reasons:

[...]

Get a new e-mail account with Hotmail - Free. Sign-up now.

Re: Looking for a reliable hosting company

Steve Karmeinsky
On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 06:00:32PM -0400, kamran wrote:

>    Try simply.com

You could also try www.elastichosts.com

UK based, reliable, smart people

I also believe Utraspeed are good.

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]

RE: Looking for a reliable hosting company

Aroxo
Hey Luke, give Amazon's AWS. We've got about 40 or so sites hosts on numerous AWS instances and never had an issue.

Cheers,

    Matt

Matt Rogers - Co-Founder
Aroxo - Earth's marketplace
3rd Floor
Clearwater House
4-7 Manchester Street
London
W1U 3AE

Location: UK
UK Cell/SMS: +447958002382
Indian Cell/SMS: +919884690539
Email: [hidden email]
Skype: mattrogers1975
Twitter: aroxo

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 06:00:32PM -0400, kamran wrote:

>    Try simply.com

You could also try www.elastichosts.com

UK based, reliable, smart people

I also believe Utraspeed are good.

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455 Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]

Re: Looking for a reliable hosting company

Liam Gooding
A lot of "cloud" providers will resell AWS, however they bulk buy and try to pass on some of the bulk buy saving in order to undercut AWS. Also, they tend to wrap it in a nicer interface.

If you're looking for a solid UK provider who is always on the phone 24/7 (out of office hours calls get routed to their mobiles, including the MD's) then give Intrahost a shot: www.intrahost.co.uk

- Ask to speak with Mike Tree, he's an extremely smart guy and been in the network & server admin business since before I was born. If it's solid support and expertise you need, and appreciate that premium service comes at premium price, then they're the people for you.

Kind Regards,

Liam Gooding
Managing Director
-------------------------

On 17 May 2010, at 08:48, Matt Rogers wrote:

> Hey Luke, give Amazon's AWS. We've got about 40 or so sites hosts on numerous AWS instances and never had an issue.
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Matt
>
> Matt Rogers - Co-Founder
> Aroxo - Earth's marketplace
> 3rd Floor
> Clearwater House
> 4-7 Manchester Street
> London
> W1U 3AE
>
> Location: UK
> UK Cell/SMS: +447958002382
> Indian Cell/SMS: +919884690539
> Email: [hidden email]
> Skype: mattrogers1975
> Twitter: aroxo

Omar Miah
"We've got about 40 or so sites hosts on numerous AWS instances and never had an issue."
Matt, can you explain a bit further how you do this?
Do you have server instances for each domain?
Or do you just use the storage space? I assume this isn't the case, since then you can only have just static files with no PHP or ASP

Thanks!

Omar

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Matt Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Luke, give Amazon's AWS. We've got about 40 or so sites hosts on numerous AWS instances and never had an issue.

Cheers,

   Matt

Matt Rogers - Co-Founder
Aroxo - Earth's marketplace
3rd Floor
Clearwater House
4-7 Manchester Street
London
W1U 3AE

Location: UK
UK Cell/SMS: +447958002382
Indian Cell/SMS: +919884690539
Email: [hidden email]
Skype: mattrogers1975
Twitter: aroxo

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 06:00:32PM -0400, kamran wrote:

>    Try simply.com

You could also try www.elastichosts.com

UK based, reliable, smart people

I also believe Utraspeed are good.

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455 Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]

RE: Looking for a reliable hosting company

Aroxo

Hey There. We’ve got 9 server instances running atm, and we actively manage another 4 for clients, and we’ve set up many more. On three of the instances we host multiple sites, either on sub-domains, or on entirely separate domains.

Sometimes we mount extra storage on /vol/ other times we rely on the storage space you get with the instance, it all depends on the needs for the application.

Only thing we don’t do on AWS is the mail server. We use Flexiscale for that. Flexiscale were a disaster zone, but they seem more reliable now. Personally I won’t use them again for critical production environment for another 18 months or so, just to make sure they are fully reliable.

I quite like how with Flexiscale you can increase an instance’s memory, CPUs, etc, etc by clicking on things, although uptime to the real chief.

Cheers,

    Matt

Matt Rogers - Co-Founder

Aroxo - Earth's marketplace

3rd Floor

Clearwater House

4-7 Manchester Street

London

W1U 3AE

Location: UK

UK Cell/SMS: +447958002382

Indian Cell/SMS: +919884690539

Email: [hidden email]

Skype: mattrogers1975

Twitter: aroxo

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 06:00:32PM -0400, kamran wrote:

>    Try simply.com

You could also try www.elastichosts.com

UK based, reliable, smart people

I also believe Utraspeed are good.

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455 Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]

Re: Looking for a reliable hosting company

Omar Miah
Matt

Thanks for the reply
After posting the question, I looked up setting up a server on AWS
I didn't know you could get ready made scripts to install LAMP
But then, things aren't straight forward - you have to jump through a few loops- but once setup, all is good from what I read

Question: are there companies that do the setup for you + do some sort of maintenance if something breaks like bringing up your whole system?

Cloud computing sounds great to me - the expandability is great - just what I need - and where a simple server just won't suit my needs well enough
But I really don't want the hassle of getting into becoming a super admin and setting up everything at a low level

I'm sure such companies must exist: it sounds like a great business model to me

Or do Amazon offer this service? i.e. giving you everything ready made?

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Omar

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Matt Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey There. We’ve got 9 server instances running atm, and we actively manage another 4 for clients, and we’ve set up many more. On three of the instances we host multiple sites, either on sub-domains, or on entirely separate domains.

Sometimes we mount extra storage on /vol/ other times we rely on the storage space you get with the instance, it all depends on the needs for the application.

Only thing we don’t do on AWS is the mail server. We use Flexiscale for that. Flexiscale were a disaster zone, but they seem more reliable now. Personally I won’t use them again for critical production environment for another 18 months or so, just to make sure they are fully reliable.

I quite like how with Flexiscale you can increase an instance’s memory, CPUs, etc, etc by clicking on things, although uptime to the real chief.

Cheers,

    Matt

Matt Rogers - Co-Founder

Aroxo - Earth's marketplace

3rd Floor

Clearwater House

4-7 Manchester Street

London

W1U 3AE

Location: UK

UK Cell/SMS: +447958002382

Indian Cell/SMS: +919884690539

Email: [hidden email]

Skype: mattrogers1975

Twitter: aroxo

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 06:00:32PM -0400, kamran wrote:

>    Try simply.com

You could also try www.elastichosts.com

UK based, reliable, smart people

I also believe Utraspeed are good.

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455 Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]

RE: Looking for a reliable hosting company

Aroxo

Amazon does offer some pre-packaged instances, although we don’t use them and install our own set-ups.

Can I ask what your requirements are? The reason I mention it, is that if you’re just after some shared hosting space with a MySQL db and PHP scripting, a shared host might be suitable, rather than the flexibility of a virtual host with shell access.

The other option would be something like 1and1 where you can get cpanel included which gives you a bit of both.

Having a virtual server doesn’t, by default, give you out of the box scalability. In effect it gives you a lot more control over the environment you’re serving your application from. Scalability is a different beast altogether.

Cheers,

    Matt

Matt Rogers - Co-Founder

Aroxo - Earth's marketplace

3rd Floor

Clearwater House

4-7 Manchester Street

London

W1U 3AE

Location: UK

UK Cell/SMS: +447958002382

Indian Cell/SMS: +919884690539

Email: [hidden email]

Skype: mattrogers1975

Twitter: aroxo

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 06:00:32PM -0400, kamran wrote:

>    Try simply.com

You could also try www.elastichosts.com

UK based, reliable, smart people

I also believe Utraspeed are good.

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455 Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]

RE: Looking for a reliable hosting company

Jon Topper-2

> Having a virtual server doesn’t, by default, give you out of the box
> scalability.

I certainly agree with this, however:

> In effect it gives you a lot more control over the environment you’re
> serving your application from.

I'm not really sure this is true.  Looking beyond the 'cloud computing'
and 'infrastructure as a service' hype, all that really differentiates
these services from hosting your own servers is that you have no need to
buy hardware up front; and in many cases you get to pay pro-rata.

You still have an operating system to configure, back up, monitor and
keep up to date with security patches, just as has been the case with
dedicated, colocated and virtual servers for the last decade.  In fact,
in Amazon EC2's case, there is added complexity resulting from things
like EBS and elastic IP addresses - and now you don't even have a
support phone number you can call even though you're paying more cash
year-on-year than you would to a traditional hosting provider.

Now, don't get me wrong.  EC2 is, from a technical point of view, an
excellent platform.  It's a great place to prototype ideas, and get a
site running without long-term commitment.  It's also a great way to
offload highly parallel processing tasks for short periods of time.  I
just take umbrage with the increasingly popular viewpoint that it
somehow makes running hosting infrastructure more straightforward - or
reduces the need for you to have an infrastructure expert on your
books[1].

My advice (generally, not specifically to you Matt)?  Use EC2 to show
your application works; but don't tie yourself to using either that
platform or their EC2-specific tools, because when you become a
longer-term proposition, you may find it isn't cost-effective compared
with the other options available.

In general (and this suggestion is prompted by Luke Glen's lamentable
experience with virtualservers.com), there are steps you can take to
reduce the risk of migrating sites between hosting providers - and you
*should* do this to avoid being held to ransom by your ISP in future.

Jon

[1] Yes, I am one of these.  This might colour my viewpoint to some
extent, but I also believe I know what I'm talking about :)

Re: Looking for a reliable hosting company

I would agree with Jon on this one. Having been in the hosting industry, and setup datacenters, and sold colocation, web hosting, virtual/dedicated, sliced/diced and repackaged into anything that would earn us money, I would say EC2 is a good model, but I do believe that people have got caught up in the hype.

The problem is that there are so many layers where things can go wrong for a business owner, from something as simple as getting a 'A' record to point correctly, all the way to ensuring that the PHP libs compiled with mysql and apache are the ones your application would need. This is where I feel you really need to trust and know you dev team (Note: I am not saying you should host with you developer, since things can go wrong and you can lose your code), they need to tell you the complete list of specs your hosting will need.

People tend to focus too early on with scaling, and imagine world domination is just around the corner, scaling hardware is usually the easiest problem to solve, when it comes to sizing, your application will most likely need to be overhauled before any of that happens. Once you have a scaling problem, you will most likely have someone in house who's salary depends on ensuring everything is up and running all the time.

Of course EC2 etc do remove some early headache, you don't really need to worry about your server crashing, or network outages, which you may need to if you have purchased your own server (and then jump in car down to docklands, work late at night, where there is no telephone reception, and curse everyone under the sun), or rack of servers. You will not really need to worry about load balancing at the app/hardware level, nor think about dual bandwidth routes, and in some cases BGP4 upstream routing (brings back memories....).

My advice to anyone going down this route, is see what you need in the next 12 mnths (do what twitter did, crashing is a good sign, it means you are growing :-)), find out in detail what your developers need, and ask them how much they know at the system level (note app development, and system level 'stuff' sometimes gets confused, and not everyone knows both). Then speak to a few hosting companies, shared/dedicated at a small level really does not matter, as long as you have the features the devs want (even companies like netsol have really bad hosting options), and then get the devs to speak with you to the hoster. All you need to do is to ensure the dev team is happy.

Uptimes/downtimes to me are part of the puzzle, you learn to deal with it....

Iqbal

> Having a virtual server doesn’t, by default, give you out of the box
> scalability.

I certainly agree with this, however:

> In effect it gives you a lot more control over the environment you’re
> serving your application from.

I'm not really sure this is true.  Looking beyond the 'cloud computing'
and 'infrastructure as a service' hype, all that really differentiates
these services from hosting your own servers is that you have no need to
buy hardware up front; and in many cases you get to pay pro-rata.

You still have an operating system to configure, back up, monitor and
keep up to date with security patches, just as has been the case with
dedicated, colocated and virtual servers for the last decade.  In fact,
in Amazon EC2's case, there is added complexity resulting from things
like EBS and elastic IP addresses - and now you don't even have a
support phone number you can call even though you're paying more cash
year-on-year than you would to a traditional hosting provider.

Now, don't get me wrong.  EC2 is, from a technical point of view, an
excellent platform.  It's a great place to prototype ideas, and get a
site running without long-term commitment.  It's also a great way to
offload highly parallel processing tasks for short periods of time.  I
just take umbrage with the increasingly popular viewpoint that it
somehow makes running hosting infrastructure more straightforward - or
reduces the need for you to have an infrastructure expert on your
books[1].

My advice (generally, not specifically to you Matt)?  Use EC2 to show
your application works; but don't tie yourself to using either that
platform or their EC2-specific tools, because when you become a
longer-term proposition, you may find it isn't cost-effective compared
with the other options available.

In general (and this suggestion is prompted by Luke Glen's lamentable
experience with virtualservers.com), there are steps you can take to
reduce the risk of migrating sites between hosting providers - and you
*should* do this to avoid being held to ransom by your ISP in future.

Jon

[1] Yes, I am one of these.  This might colour my viewpoint to some
extent, but I also believe I know what I'm talking about :)

Re: Looking for a reliable hosting company

Chen Wang-2
Very interesting discussion. I think we're talking about different
levels or layers of cloud computing here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing#Layers

EC2 and other Amazon's offerings are more of infrastructure as a
service, or IaaS which means you have to bring your own toolbox to
tame the beast; In return, you're pretty much in control of a number
of virtual data centres and a truly global infrastructure is possible.

Services like Google's AppEngine or the coming VMForce are a layer up
which provides a platform, or PaaS and that is similar to the
traditional developer-sysadmin relationship where you develop an app
and give it to sysadmin for deployment. It is much easier to get
something up and running and PaaS would normally tell you scalability
is not an issue but in fact it still will be.

I personally would recommend PaaS to small development outfit or
experimenting with ideas. If you are looking at serious scalability
and reliability, not only you have to get your hands dirty with IaaS
but also cross-cloud multi-vendor setups.

Regards,

Chen

> [...]

My advice (generally, not specifically to you Matt)?  Use EC2 to show your application works; but don't tie yourself to using either that platform or their EC2-specific tools, because when you become a longer-term proposition, you may find it isn't cost-effective compared with the other options available.

In general (and this suggestion is prompted by Luke Glen's lamentable experience with virtualservers.com), there are steps you can take to reduce the risk of migrating sites between hosting providers - and you
*should* do this to avoid being held to ransom by your ISP in future.

Jon

[1] Yes, I am one of these.  This might colour my viewpoint to some extent, but I also believe I know what I'm talking about :)

Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([hidden email]) http://www.meetup.com/opencoffee/ This message was sent by Jon Topper ([hidden email]) from London OpenCoffee Meetup.
To learn more about Jon Topper, visit his/her member profile: http://www.meetup.com/opencoffee/members/6312232/

RE: Looking for a reliable hosting company

Shane Osborne
Hi Chen

I have avoided this discussion over the last few comments as thought you guys were doing well talking among your self.

However I think I would disagree with the comment made below -

' If you are looking at serious scalability and reliability, not only you have to get your hands dirty with IaaS but also cross-cloud multi-vendor setups.'

I have been working with dot com hosting for many years ranging from dot com's receving 15 million page views a month on a simple load balanced and cluster db environment to my previous job where we were spending £12k plus a month on our hosting infrastructure for a ticketing company.

As a whole and upto 6-12 months ago the statement above was pretty true, however more recently PaaS products have matured into large scalable and reliably services.  For example most of our clients we host on our own load balanced environment with redundant database servers hosted within the UK.  However for a couple of upcoming projects, due to location of the customers/users of the site (e.g. NZ, Singapore etc) and the number of monthly users we are expecting to support (working with large telcos) we have decided to go ahead with Windows Azure.

Windows Azure is great PaaS which provides excellent scalability through web, worker roles, message queuing systems, CDN, SQL in the cloud and so on.  We are also using this for a UK based client as this will grow with their customer base.

One quote I recently heard about Cloud solutions which apply to both IaaS and especially PaaS is that investers/VC's in Silicon Valley are expecting all start up's to utilise the cloud as it gives them a cheap get in (no upfront costs) and cheap to get out (no hardware costs).  Also scaling is cheap and costs will hopefully be based on performance!

Anyway enough ranting for tonight :)

Shane

------------------------------------

Shane Osborne
Technical Director
www.punkyduck.com

t: 0845 0 347 347
m: 07710 777 997
f: 01473 883 406

22 Queen Street,
Ipswich, Suffolk,
IP1 1SS
Registered Company: 06044753

The bit our solicitors make us say
This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited.

Please also note that any opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of punkyduck ltd.

> [...]

> My advice (generally, not specifically to you Matt)?  Use EC2 to show
> your application works; but don't tie yourself to using either that
> platform or their EC2-specific tools, because when you become a
> longer-term proposition, you may find it isn't cost-effective compared
> with the other options available.
>
> In general (and this suggestion is prompted by Luke Glen's lamentable
> experience with virtualservers.com), there are steps you can take to
> reduce the risk of migrating sites between hosting providers - and you
> *should* do this to avoid being held to ransom by your ISP in future.
>

> Jon
>
> [1] Yes, I am one of these.  This might colour my viewpoint to some
> extent, but I also believe I know what I'm talking about :)

> Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 | [hidden email]

Re: Looking for a reliable hosting company

Hi Shane,

I see what you mean here and PaaS vendors are indeed catching up. I
don't know much about Windows Azure and I guess I will continue to
keep myself away from it due to personal preference and past
experience  dealing with Microsoft, but it will be a serious player in
PaaS field if it provides what you mentioned, pretty much covering all
departments a scalable app would need. There happens to be another
piece of news today from the collaboration between VMware and Google
which would make Google App Engine much more interesting.

http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2010/05/enabling-cloud-portability-with-google.html

Regards,

Chen