Quantcast

[LondonOpenCoffee] Website to Mobile App

[LondonOpenCoffee] Website to Mobile App

Bharat Kumar

Hi all,

I think this question has come up before but can anyone recommend any platforms for creating an app (iOS and Android at least) from an existing website (Drupal). The client has an existing site which they want to keep and manage the content via Drupal but they want to distribute an app as an additional front end. The simpler the better as I’m currently trying to avoid any (more) learning curves. I’m happy to put my mind to something but trying to avoid several weeks of manuals and discussion forums :)

I’ve obviously searched and found a few but some recommendations from experience would be great. Doesn’t necessarily have to be free, just reasonable.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Thanks.

— Please Note: If you hit “REPLY”, your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([hidden email]) https://www.meetup.com/londonocc/ This message was sent by Meetup on behalf of Rob Riley (https://www.meetup.com/londonocc/members/12384261/) from London OpenCoffee Meetup. Set my mailing list to email me

As they are sent https://www.meetup.com/londonocc/list_prefs/?pref=1

In one daily email https://www.meetup.com/londonocc/list_prefs/?pref=2

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] Website to Mobile App

Bharat Kumar
Hi Rob,

There are third-party products that do this for Wordpress, but the only thing I’ve found for Drupal is this https://www.drupal.org/project/mag

—
Spokey Wheeler
+447788791100

On 11 May 2017, at 12:18, Rob Riley <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hey Rob,

You'll really need allow your Drupal site to act as an API for mobile frontends, probably using the RESTful module.

From there you could look at PhoneGap / DrupalGap, or for something a bit more up to date and slick you could look at React Native.

If you're on a real budget you might be able to find a way to embed your site in a WebView and distribute as an app. Another alternative would be to look into enable the site to be a progressive web app, however support for this isn't very widespread right now.

Hedley

On 11/05/2017 12:18, Rob Riley wrote:

[...]

Hedley Smith
Founder @ Homebox.io

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] Website to Mobile App

Bharat Kumar

Hi Rob

There is no silver bullet on the market.

There are lots of services that would do the job, but the result would be not good and it is a way to get lots of negative reviews in the App Store and Google Play market (Typical review would be: 1Star. Rubbish. Website is better than an app. ).

Most of the things could be sorted and if you know what you are doing, you can produce a reasonably good result. But it probably would mean spending time reading Apple and Google play guidelines and lots of other things in addition to reading docs about specific framework or platform.

Regards
Andrii

[...]

​Converting a website to mobile, outside of a simple web interface, is not ideal and difficult to achieve.

You can use API's etc, as mentioned, or something like Zapable, which can take some information from your site (e.g. RSS feeds) and display it in an app .  Zapable allows you to create standalone apps as well and is a great low cost solution, however, I would think what you probably really want (something seamless) will have a reasonable cost to it!

Paul

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul Kelly
Chief Helpe
Office - 020 3011 5600
Mobile - 07850 350627
Skype - paul.kelly
Follow me on twitter - icanhelpyourbiz

43 The Square
Hammersmith
London W6 9PX

This e-mail and any attachments are intended for a specific recipient and may be confidential. If you have received it in error you must not forward, copy or show it anyone, returning it to the sender and then deleting it from your system.

On 11 May 2017 at 12:30, Andrii <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

As per my experience, you should take care of the following points -

1) If you simply launch your website as an app, Apple store would not accept it with a reason that you have nothing different and all this can already be accessed on your website.

2) People would simply avoid installing your app as there is no special feature they would be able to use by allocating there phone memory for your app and instead would rather prefer to go your website

3) If you use any third party tools to simply import your website into a app than it wont give it a seamless flow and your client would not be happy with the end product.

Instead I would recommend ask your clients to make the website design responsive so visitors can seamlessly use your website in there phone browser.

Or else you can ask your client to add some special functionality like "CLICK TO CALL" in the apps and make it unique for the users and acceptable for the app stores. linkedin.com/in/svaapta-it-ally-45b013b2

For further help reach me on -
Skype : sales.svaapta
Linkedin : linkedin.com/in/svaapta-it-ally-45b013b2

Best Regards

On 5/11/2017 5:16 PM, Paul Kelly wrote:
[...]

Thanks and Regards,
Sales Team
Svaapta IT-Ally
Svaapta IT-Ally Solutions Pvt Ltd

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] Website to Mobile App

Bharat Kumar
+1 for the suggestion of making the drupal site present a web services API which your app can consume. We do this for clients using Joomla! but the principles are the same with any content management system (CMS).

Apple are increasingly rejecting apps under section 4.2.2 of the review guidelines saying that apps with :-  limited or no native iOS functionality do not sufficiently differ from a mobile web browsing experience, and are not appropriate for the App Store. There is a good reason for this. Mobile capabilities like push notifications giving people a reason to download your app - otherwise why would people bother.

Google are becoming more interested in content review although they do not really focus on overall mobile app quality or where the content comes from.

You really have to think about adding enough capability to your app to get it through App Store review and I would recommend looking at providing mobile specific functionality like Push Notifications, and making sure to provide a native look and feel for views not just a mobile web view. If you can’t or don’t want to add these native phone capabilities then a responsive mobile theme for your CMS is probably the best thing.

Angus (Over 200 live apps in the App Store and in Google Play - we simultaneously ship on Android and iOS).

[...]

Great, thanks very much for the advice.

On 11 May 2017, at 16:10, Angus Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Rob Riley
IT Consultant and Developer
+447900 002748