[LondonOpenCoffee] Trademark?

Zulfiqar Deo (Meetup)

Hi OC’ers

Does anyone know if ‘The Brits’ is a trademark?

I’m wanting to brand a national sporting champs as this, but someone has suggested that the popular music awards would have the trademark and we would be sued if we used it, but I can’t find it on gov.uk

Someone else suggested that because it’s so generic, you can’t TM it.

Any advice very gratefully received

David

RE: [LondonOpenCoffee] Trademark?

Zulfiqar Deo (Meetup)

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmtext/page/Results,

Does anyone know if ‘The Brits’ is a trademark?

I’m wanting to brand a national sporting champs as this, but someone has suggested that the popular music awards would have the trademark and we would be sued if we used it, but I can’t find it on gov.uk

Someone else suggested that because it’s so generic, you can’t TM it.

Any advice very gratefully received

David

KeystoneLawFooterAwards
KeystonelawChanceryLaneAddress
KeystoneLawDisclaimerFooter
KeystoneLawAwardsBanner
KeystoneLawFooterBottom
The UK’s “Best Legal Adviser” - Legal Week 2016-2017

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] Trademark?

Zulfiqar Deo (Meetup)
talk to Jane Coyle at The Trademarkroom.com, deals with all my stuff and very knowledgeable

Regards

Paul Sullivan

CEO and Founder

0203 637 4426

3-5 Bleeding Heart Yard
London EC1N 8JS

Official UK Drift Partner - Chatbot Developer

Let's have a chat .... book me here or call me, text or Whatsapp +44 07811 351 242

Winner Best Inbound Marketing Agency London 2017 - Marketing, PR & Design Awards
Winner Best Mental Health Services Campaign 2017 - Marketing, PR & Design Awards

This email transmission including any attachments is confidential and may also contain information that is legally privileged and copyright material. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you receive this email by mistake please promptly inform us by reply email and then delete the email and destroy any printed copy. You must not disclose or use in any way the information in the email. If you are not the intended recipient of this email transmission, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this email transmission, or action taken in reliance on this email transmission, is unauthorised, prohibited and may be unlawful. There is no warranty that this email is error or virus free. It may be a private communication and, if so, does not represent the views of Paul Sullivan Marketing Limited or its management. If it is a private communication, care should be taken in opening it to ensure that undue offence is not given.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 03:42:40PM +0000, Paul Renney wrote:

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmtext/page/Results,

And lo and behold

EU011982535

Pretty much for all classes that are relevant

Steve

— NetTek Ltd UK mob +44 7775 755503 UK +44 20 3432 3735 / US +1 (650) 423 1390 social id stevekennedyuk Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com

— Please Note: If you hit “REPLY”, your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([hidden email]) https://www.meetup.com/londonocc/ This message was sent by Meetup on behalf of Steve Karmeinsky (https://www.meetup.com/londonocc/members/8276455/) from London OpenCoffee Meetup. Set my mailing list to email me

As they are sent https://www.meetup.com/londonocc/list_prefs/?pref=1

In one daily email https://www.meetup.com/londonocc/list_prefs/?pref=2

RE: [LondonOpenCoffee] Trademark?

Zulfiqar Deo (Meetup)

HI I would think it highly likely that this name has been trademarked even if it’s as the The Brit Awards, and you’re opening yourself up to a potentially tricky situation.

Also from a branding perspective you won’t stand out as a sporting body or event as everyone will associate ‘The Brits’ with the music awards so sport (although could be seen as a brand transition) will confuse people.  It could be seen as mixed messaging and you’re getting more publicity for the people behind the Brit awards.

Thanks

Elena

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] Trademark?

Zulfiqar Deo (Meetup)
Hi you can check here:

Let me know if you need help

https://www.gov.uk/search-for-trademark

Kind regards
Barbara

Sent from my iPhone
Dr Barbara Lond-Wanjagi
B.Com., BSc., MSc., LLB, DOccPsych
Registered HCPC Psychologist

On Jun 13, 2018, at 4:57 PM, Elena K <[hidden email]> wrote:

HI I would think it highly likely that this name has been trademarked even if it’s as the The Brit Awards, and you’re opening yourself up to a potentially tricky situation.

Also from a branding perspective you won’t stand out as a sporting body or event as everyone will associate ‘The Brits’ with the music awards so sport (although could be seen as a brand transition) will confuse people.  It could be seen as mixed messaging and you’re getting more publicity for the people behind the Brit awards.

Thanks

Elena

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] Trademark?

Zulfiqar Deo (Meetup)
Hi David,

The trademark is awarded by the class. So you will have to check here for the class you are looking to register it in: https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ - I do see a few registration for The Brits or similar in some classes.

Best,
Neel

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018, 16:33 David, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi OC’ers

Does anyone know if ‘The Brits’ is a trademark?

I’m wanting to brand a national sporting champs as this, but someone has suggested that the popular music awards would have the trademark and we would be sued if we used it, but I can’t find it on gov.uk

Someone else suggested that because it’s so generic, you can’t TM it.

Any advice very gratefully received

David

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] Trademark?

Zulfiqar Deo (Meetup)