[LondonOpenCoffee] Re Book Promotion

Guillaume
Dear All

I have just released an employability book targeting university students but I would like to do some marketing which targets parents with kids going to start University in September. Approx 400k students will be freshers this year.

I would like to start a campaign called "don't leave home with out it" (Working title) to get it included in freshers packs and that parents buy it as part of the items they buy for Uni.

Any thoughts on how to identify this target audience, create a retargeting campaign or just thoughts in general.

If anyone can recommend an agent/ PR person that would be great too

Thanks

Frances

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] Re Book Promotion

Guillaume
Congrats on the book release.

Until you identity an agent, have you considered reaching out to universities directly? For instance, a number of universities have open days taking place in June and July. (Eventbrite may be a good place to start). Pitching to them may get you an invite to an open days, where you will have the opportunity to speak directly with students and parents, at the earliest opportunity.

At the very least, universities may be prepared to list your book on their material as a suggested read, if they had sight of your book.

Also consider FB groups to reach parents and appropriate student publications.

Carla
Thomas Chase Immigration

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 Apr 2017, at 08:42, Frances <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear All

I have just released an employability book targeting university students but I would like to do some marketing which targets parents with kids going to start University in September. Approx 400k students will be freshers this year.

I would like to start a campaign called "don't leave home with out it" (Working title) to get it included in freshers packs and that parents buy it as part of the items they buy for Uni.

Any thoughts on how to identify this target audience, create a retargeting campaign or just thoughts in general.

If anyone can recommend an agent/ PR person that would be great too

Thanks

Frances

RE: [LondonOpenCoffee] Re Book Promotion

Guillaume

Here are a few suggestions that have worked in the past:

  1. Competition: Reach out student groups online and create a ‘competition’ via twitter/facebook for the best tweet/pic/post with content from ‘issues they faced as students’ – and how your book is the answer to their issues – give a £99 (say) prize for the final winner, up to 20 (say) free books, or equivalent incentives – for student, £99 for such competitions is high enough
  2. Event collaboration: Search student related events on Eventbrite and equivalent (their search function works pretty well) and click on ‘contact organizer’ – offer them a bi-directional promo option in their event (50% chance they will agree but works for you) – pay them a commission (discuss) and your book is in front of their audience – spend an appropriate time – if the organizer takes too long, they are simply not interested.
  3. Alumni associations – since your book targets employability, alumni associations will be glad to promote this during events, job fairs etc
  4. Council boards and libraries – students visit libraries and councils/libraries promote these posters for free (especially when something helps employability) – uni open days (already suggested by another member)

From the above, create a small plan and stick to it – there are some other approaches too.

Recent example of a similar book (about improving tech skills of new grads): one of the current students showed it to the career centre who then converted it to a 2-part, 2 hour classroom/workshop session in front of 100 students done each term – traction was good.

Your book targets a cost-sensitive audience but promises returns of employability. Before I forget, congratulations on the book!

Hope the above suggestions are useful – plan it out on paper/spreadsheet.

http://t.sidekickopen65.com/e1t/o/5/f18dQhb0S7ks8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9gXrN7sKj6v4f8fjW63Bt2g2zhFTlVd0ts23LvrVvW3tkX_s1k1H6H0?si=4965059289808896&pi=c1950d2b-fce2-4f97-8eb0-f5184f6d0ff6

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] Re Book Promotion

Guillaume
Hi Frances,

Good points Carla I agree to go directly to the Universities. I would recommend London South Bank University and University of Westminster not only because I went to these universities to complete my degrees there, but also because they are quite receptive to being contacted. I'd also definitely target UCL because I like their professionalism and proactive nature. You could try the student unions of these universities or go directly to the NUS - www.nus.org.uk - do some kind of commission related deal with them. Also since the book is employability related each university should now have this department within the institution. You might be able to do some type of marketing campaign to sell the book through them. Equally the university should also have an entrepreneurial related initiative since many of the university student will need to employ themselves and create their own opportunities rather then working for someone else. Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Lena Benjamin
Progress4Entrepreneurs

Sent from my iPhone

You could try talking to https://www.studentbeans.com/

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] Re Book Promotion

Guillaume
Thank you

Really appreciate you taking the time to give me all of this very useful feedback thank you

Much appreciated

Frances

PS I will let you know how it all goes