[LondonOpenCoffee] How to manage Equity based developer in the UK?

[LondonOpenCoffee] How to manage Equity based developer in the UK?

Julian Asher-2

Dear LOC members,

This is an ask/request for advice more than referrals (which are also welcome)!

While working with some outsourced developers, a startup felt the need of having someone here in the UK. We found one willing (and very talented developer) – after working for a while, he moved on once he got a full-time paid role with a giant firm (we learned lessons on how to formulate the agreement next time). This is a friend’s startup – I am a micro investor in it.

Now we are happy to offer equity and commission to someone willing to work together on a startup needing LAMP coding skills with asymmetric encryption – current code is in PHP though we have been advised to move away from PHP. Person can have additional jobs as long as s/he can juggle her/his own time without affecting life/work.

More than referrals (which we find through angel.co and workinstartups.com), can the members share their experience in how to keep the developer motivated? Have you found issues with ‘technically competent and willing but less friendly’ members?

What advice comes to mind – please share! Thank you

Best regards,

Jeev

Avast logo

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] How to manage Equity based developer in the UK?

Julian Asher-2

We have someone working part time, and I have worked part time myself before. Here are some thoughts that may help shape your thoughts.

I struggled to work part time even though this was a company I had helped build from scratch. So whoever you bring on board:

- Should have worked part time before, as it may help ensure the person has the discipline

- Should be highly motivated about something in the company. Usually you want that to be the company's vision so that the developer doesn't find yet another 'part time project' that excites him/her more and leaves. If the person is motivated by the company's vision, you could structure a path where he/she comes onboard full time post investment/revenue/profit (some milestone basically). If the company is not the motivating factor then other possible motivations are:

  - Chance to move to the UK x months down the line by the company sponsoring a work visa (we got our designer this way)

  - Chance to re-build the infrastructure from scratch (often excites developers who have worked in largish orgs and never got to do this)

  - Chance to use cool new technologies (you dont want to give the developer liberty to choose anything as there are future costs of making this choice, but if you choose something that is a recent tech, then you can use that as a motivation).

  - Chance to build a startup, be the lead developer/CTO in the future, etc. Some people are attracted by the idea of creating an organization.

- Use simple tools to nudge the developer to honour his/her commitment. We use a timesheet for the person to clock in and out. We also have a skype group for all company members and the developer (indeed everyone) is expected to say hi when he/she starts work, and bye when he/she ends work. This are less for accountability and more for reaching the developer's conscience when he/she "cheats". If the person cheats blatantly, you want the person gone anyway. So this works well.

Hope this helps.

Zahir

On Wednesday 08 March 2017 09:12 AM, Jeev Sahoo wrote:

[...]

Hi Jeev,

in the current market, unless you’re working on something absolutely mind blowing -or- your product already generates profit and you are growing exponentially, you’ll probably have a hard time keeping a developer motivated on an equity / commission model without cash.

Best
Boris