[LondonOpenCoffee] Episodic Video Marketing Platform -- advice on early stage startup

[LondonOpenCoffee] Episodic Video Marketing Platform -- advice on early stage startup

Guillaume
Hi Open Coffee,

I’ve been a member for a while and in the past you have helped me both directly and indirectly. I’ve just joined a new company and we’re working in the video marketing space. We are, as is perennial in this field, short on money and trying to figure out a good way to get seed funding and also how we go about “selling” our concept. The idea is below:

“In a nutshell, Play by Play collaborates with brands and influencers to co-create ongoing (episodic) video content. Our online technology - which we’ve called our Playbook - makes it easy for you to plan, organise and collaborate with your community to create episodic video in short instalments as often as you want. Using your defined shot list, creators document in video format & upload via an app, this can then be edited into shareable content. We charge for use of the platform, not per video and champion collaboration at each stage of the process so have no preference over who edits, produces or similar. With consumer attention spans being short and social media meaning more and more people trust each other’s opinions the most, we think that telling curated stories in video format and told by a brand’s community, is a really interesting idea.

Our ‘Make Your Own Video’ workshop is where you learn how to plan, shoot and edit a video in three hours and using just your phone. Idea is that attendees to the workshop can then capture content out and about (at events, on trips etc.) and have the skills to be able to turn this into something punchy and short to share with the relevant people within the business quickly and at no cost. It’s a hands-on, practical class that is a really fun team-builder as much as being actually useful and can be delivered in any location. ”

Our plan is to charge a monthly retainer with additional bolt ons for the “Playbook” platform. One issue we have is how do we come up with the price? Additionally, as we feel this is an easier route to getting some much needed money into the business, we are trying to smartphone filming workshops for companies.

Any advice on where’s best to raise/pitch and how we can get our name out there would be much appreciated. Happy to chat offlist / over a coffee to fill you in on more of the nitty gritty.

Thanks in advance

Andy

As they are sent
https://www.meetup.com/londonocc/list_prefs/?pref=1

In one daily email
https://www.meetup.com/londonocc/list_prefs/?pref=2

Don't send me mailing list messages
https://www.meetup.com/londonocc/list_prefs/?pref=0

Re: [LondonOpenCoffee] Episodic Video Marketing Platform -- advice on early stage startup

Guillaume
Hi Andy

Let me know if you fancy chatting off list or over that coffee - might have to be after easter now if that's any good for you still?

First thoughts are
  • Do you have any brands or industry sectors in mind where you think this would work particularly well?
  • Approaching companies directly will alienate you from any existing agency relationships they have - so you might need to try and infiltrate the social / creative agencies
  • Any reason you describe a retainer charge rather than subscription model? I only ask in case I missed something
  • If you do think about going the agency route you might need to treat them as resellers anyway, so think about that
Let me know if you fancy coffee in a couple of weeks (richard@stretchdigital,com)

Richard