Launch48 -London

Alice
Ah and although his presentation didn't have the LOL wit of Christian
and Emi, ALI OF HUDDLE.NET gave a great pragmatic steer about
monetization approaches.

Some people may have been asleep during that presentation, though, because:

(1.) Only 42voices came up with anything that approached a P+L for 3 years.

(2.) I was told firstly that there are zero sunk costs in forming any
dot com nowadays and then that user acquisition costs are also zero
because all it needs is a few tweets or a "Facebook group or two."

Hmmn.......And yet one of Ali's comments wrt his first slides had been
to point out how much Twitter had to raise to have marketing budget
for attracting traffic to the site in the first place.

So.......before the chicken + the egg arrive, maybe their ears
do............... to.........ecoutez bien.

On Thursday, June 10, 2010, Dot Alice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well there's only one side I've been interested in all day: what a
> former Accel Partner, who invested in Playfish, thinks are good cap
> structures and terms that entrepreneurs should watch out for.
>
> Also there was a speaker there who's going to buy a regional US bank
> and seems interested in turning it into a retail bank that invests in
> start-ups.
>
> Maybe sounds wacky but actually this was proposed almost 18 months ago
> by an NYU Stern academic and appeared as an article in 'Businessweek'.
> If he proceeds, it will be interesting. Imagine if Sir Richard did
> that with his recent ventures into retail banking......
>
> Anyway, I managed to monopolize Mr ex-Accel for a few minutes to
> discuss that term that cropped up @ Launch48: "product-market fit".
>
> So aside from iPad's Chinese character recognition mishaps, I'm happy :*).
>
> On Thursday, June 10, 2010, iqbalgandham  wrote:
>> Hey
>>
>> I only ever play both sides, until I know which one will win :-)
>>
>> I.

Re: Launch48 -London

Steve Karmeinsky
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 01:50:46AM -0400, Dot Alice wrote:

> Ah and although his presentation didn't have the LOL wit of Christian
> and Emi, ALI OF HUDDLE.NET gave a great pragmatic steer about
> monetization approaches.
> Some people may have been asleep during that presentation, though, because:
> (1.) Only 42voices came up with anything that approached a P+L for 3 years.

How can you say that? Taxisquare also had a business model that worked
by charging Taxi drivers 19.99 per month (and it scales to other parts
of the UK and rest of the world).

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]

Re: Launch48 -London

Alice
There's more granularity in the 42Voices model. A work-in-progress and
at least their revenue modeling guy had projections on specific
numbers of potential clients, break-even point and sunk costs
accounted for.

Christian of Yahoo! was totally right to point out that instead of
desktop recording it should be smartphone straight to their dashboard.
They should look at what audioboo.com do for the voice recording side
of their biz.

As for revenue models of the other ideas, the ones who had any numbers
went for overall market sizes without being focussed on the core
target. The mentors told us repeatedly: "Don't just say the market is
X billions and all you need to get is 1% of it."

TAXISQURE
==========

Ok, take for example TaxiSquare. After the presentation we knew how
many black cabs there are in London: 25,000. So we can work out that
at maximum conversion of this GBP19.99 monthly charge......they could
maybe earn GBP499,750 per month --- effective as from the third month
of launch (since TaxiSquare is providing the first two months free to
gain driver traction on a trial basis).

Btw, Iqbal made a good point: charging should be from day one --- and
I'd add perhaps with some transferable credit build up for usage
loyalty. Transferable in terms of them getting vouchers to buy taxi
cleaning equipment / services or something related to how much they
pay for petrol, for example. Quite separate from this "Recommend us to
N friend(s) and you'll get a month free.'

I guess I was seeking.......IMAGINATION in the revenue models over and
above any monthly subscription charge of GBP19.99.

However, it's unlikely they'll make 100% conversion so it would have
been useful if as well as the base charge of GBP19.99 they had
explained how many drivers they expected to migrate realistically and
also why they chose this price point.

After all, there are location apps on iPhone which process much more
complex information than matching transportee(s) and the transporter
for a lot less than GBP5.

So........it would take 0 time for a competitor to undercut
TaxiSquare. Remember Hugh's gold nuggets about how he didn't want
anyone to say there are no competitors and they can't do it cheaper.

In fact, since TaxiSquare only have 1 developer and he isn't familiar
with Objective-C there's nothing to stop anyone tapping some Cocoa
Touch developers to code it up in a few days. In fact, I'd code it if
I didn't already have my 2 projects.

Also it's not enough to say, "Well....these three taxi drivers we spot
surveyed had been sitting there wasting 45 minutes." On a per mile
basis, how much could those taxi drivers have earned?

What's the opportunity cost to them of NOT being synched into the
TaxiSquare system?

From the investor side, how much would this App development cost? Go
back to the Friday conference and one of the mentors already mentioned
this when he reflected on increasingly lowered barriers of entry to
create apps.

On 6/11/10, Steve Kennedy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 01:50:46AM -0400, Dot Alice wrote:
>
>> Ah and although his presentation didn't have the LOL wit of Christian
>> and Emi, ALI OF HUDDLE.NET gave a great pragmatic steer about
>> monetization approaches.
>> Some people may have been asleep during that presentation, though,
>> because:
>> (1.) Only 42voices came up with anything that approached a P+L for 3
>> years.
>
> How can you say that? Taxisquare also had a business model that worked
> by charging Taxi drivers 19.99 per month (and it scales to other parts
> of the UK and rest of the world).
>
> Steve
>
> --
> NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
> UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
> Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
> Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
> Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 |

Re: Launch48 -London

Alice
Yesterday VentureLabs2 offered up two answers to "What's the measure
of dotcom success?"

(1.) Still being operational after 5 years without going under.

(2.) Being acquired by Google.

This morning I received an email from the founders of Raw Nerve, a
digital branding agency whose clients included Apple, Diesel and
Penguin Books and who had gained govt. grants as well as positive
mainstream press. They'd also developed a socnet vertical for tens of
thousands of London-based creatives to showcase and sell their talents
to big brandco's in a way that traditional human resource platforms
with their standard CV search etc. couldn't.

Unfortunately, Raw Nerve announced they'd closed as a business (founded: 2003).

This made me reflect on Launch48, VentureLabs2 and also the fact that
both directors approached me about writing their business plans to
prepare them for first round VC financing. Time and other commitments
(non-UK) meant that I was unable to do so.

I hear the "It doesn't matter there's no business plan / revenue model
/ identifiable user segment / financing options scenario setting" all
the time.

Unfortunately, maybe that's why there are not yet any British Googles,
Facebooks, twitters et al.

On 6/11/10, Dot Alice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> because:
>>> (1.) Only 42voices came up with anything that approached a P+L for 3
>>> years.
>>
>> How can you say that? Taxisquare also had a business model that worked
>> by charging Taxi drivers 19.99 per month (and it scales to other parts
>> of the UK and rest of the world).
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> --
>> NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
>> UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
>> Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
>> Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> --
>> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
>> Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 |

Re: Launch48 -London

There is a mis-conception in the industry, that dotcoms can be built for free, but alas experience (or track record as you we discussed before) does require money, as does writing a business plan, or even putting together a strategy. I feel that alot of dotcoms fail not because of the idea, but because they mistake bootstrapping for 'cheap/free', and they do not realise that bootstrapping comes with pitfalls also, and at one point you will need money, no matter how low your operational costs are. The amount of money is always up for discussion, and I do realise that some companies waste millions, due to lack of experience, but thats another story.

Iqbal

Ah and although his presentation didn't have the LOL wit of Christian
and Emi, ALI OF HUDDLE.NET gave a great pragmatic steer about
monetization approaches.

Some people may have been asleep during that presentation, though, because:

(1.) Only 42voices came up with anything that approached a P+L for 3 years.

(2.) I was told firstly that there are zero sunk costs in forming any
dot com nowadays and then that user acquisition costs are also zero
because all it needs is a few tweets or a "Facebook group or two."

Hmmn.......And yet one of Ali's comments wrt his first slides had been
to point out how much Twitter had to raise to have marketing budget
for attracting traffic to the site in the first place.

So.......before the chicken + the egg arrive, maybe their ears
do............... to.........ecoutez bien.

On Thursday, June 10, 2010, Dot Alice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well there's only one side I've been interested in all day: what a
> former Accel Partner, who invested in Playfish, thinks are good cap
> structures and terms that entrepreneurs should watch out for.
>
> Also there was a speaker there who's going to buy a regional US bank
> and seems interested in turning it into a retail bank that invests in
> start-ups.
>
> Maybe sounds wacky but actually this was proposed almost 18 months ago
> by an NYU Stern academic and appeared as an article in 'Businessweek'.
> If he proceeds, it will be interesting. Imagine if Sir Richard did
> that with his recent ventures into retail banking......
>
> Anyway, I managed to monopolize Mr ex-Accel for a few minutes to
> discuss that term that cropped up @ Launch48: "product-market fit".
>
> So aside from iPad's Chinese character recognition mishaps, I'm happy :*).
>
> On Thursday, June 10, 2010, iqbalgandham  wrote:
>> Hey
>>
>> I only ever play both sides, until I know which one will win :-)
>>
>> I.

Philip Woodward
I missed out on the weekend but was at the Friday conference of Launch 48,
which was excellent.

I just wanted to throw in my two cents in case the 42Voices guys were doing
anything further with this, I like the idea.
(I'm looking for a voice over artist so this would be a useful service for
me!)

On this comment by Christian:

"Christian of Yahoo! was totally right to point out that instead of
desktop recording it should be smartphone straight to their dashboard."
(My assumption is that this refers to recordings made by voice over
artists).

I'd disagree that is an important feature development in getting to the all
important product / market fit.

If the ultimate value of 42voices is getting quality voiceovers in an easier
way and / or at lower prices (by changing how the market works) then they
need quality voice over input.
So good quality voice over talent and good quality recordings.
A smart phone recording will sounds like a smart phone recording.

The techie in me likes the idea of smart phone recording, but I don't
believe it would be commercially useful.
(Also from the little voice over requirements I've had this wouldn't be a
recording method voice over artists would be comfortable with).

Best of luck to them if they are giving it a go and thanks to all the
speakers!

Regards,

Phil.

Phil Woodward.
www.hipsnip.com

[...]

From the investor side, how much would this App development cost? Go
back to the Friday conference and one of the mentors already mentioned
this when he reflected on increasingly lowered barriers of entry to
create apps.

On 6/11/10, Steve Kennedy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 01:50:46AM -0400, Dot Alice wrote:
>
>> Ah and although his presentation didn't have the LOL wit of Christian
>> and Emi, ALI OF HUDDLE.NET gave a great pragmatic steer about
>> monetization approaches.
>> Some people may have been asleep during that presentation, though,
>> because:
>> (1.) Only 42voices came up with anything that approached a P+L for 3
>> years.
>
> How can you say that? Taxisquare also had a business model that worked
> by charging Taxi drivers 19.99 per month (and it scales to other parts
> of the UK and rest of the world).
>
> Steve
>
> --
> NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
> UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
> Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
> Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
> Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 |

Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 |

Re: Launch48 -London

Geoff Wright-2
"Christian of Yahoo! was totally right to point out that instead of
desktop recording it should be smartphone straight to their dashboard."
(My assumption is that this refers to recordings made by voice over
artists).

If this came from someone who works for Yahoo, I'm not surprised!

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Philip Woodward <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From the investor side, how much would this App development cost? Go
back to the Friday conference and one of the mentors already mentioned
this when he reflected on increasingly lowered barriers of entry to
create apps.

On 6/11/10, Steve Kennedy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 01:50:46AM -0400, Dot Alice wrote:
>
>> Ah and although his presentation didn't have the LOL wit of Christian
>> and Emi, ALI OF HUDDLE.NET gave a great pragmatic steer about
>> monetization approaches.
>> Some people may have been asleep during that presentation, though,
>> because:
>> (1.) Only 42voices came up with anything that approached a P+L for 3
>> years.
>
> How can you say that? Taxisquare also had a business model that worked
> by charging Taxi drivers 19.99 per month (and it scales to other parts
> of the UK and rest of the world).
>
> Steve
>
> --
> NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
> UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
> Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
> Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
> Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 |

Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 |

BR,

Geoff Wright

Affililabs LTD
[hidden email]
t: +44 (0) 7702 405 730
Skype: geoffw8
http://www.affililabs.com

RE: Launch48 -London

Alice
Helpful points, Phil, but hères a scenario: are voice-over artists at
their desktops 24/7 waiting for that potential job to pop up on the
dashboard or are they out&about (maybe going to casting calls since
that v/o lady 42Voices brought to their presentation noted that quite
a few of them are actors) with the possibility of finding somewhere
quiet to do their v/o.

Imagine too if the client's after a "random man / woman on the street
soundbite". What are 42Voices going to do? Get their v/o artist at a
desktop for recording and then synthetically mix in street-traffic
sounds?

Christian's point, from my reading, is about mobility and flexibility
for the v/o artists.

Anyway, 42Voices should touch base with you so that in the 6 week
review they can have a supporting argument about technical quality of
desktop recording compared with smartphone. It might help them clarify
their tech needs.

On Friday, June 11, 2010, Philip Woodward  wrote:

> I missed out on the weekend but was at the Friday conference of Launch 48,
> which was excellent.
>
> I just wanted to throw in my two cents in case the 42Voices guys were doing
> anything further with this, I like the idea.
> (I'm looking for a voice over artist so this would be a useful service for
> me!)
>
> On this comment by Christian:
>
> "Christian of Yahoo! was totally right to point out that instead of
> desktop recording it should be smartphone straight to their dashboard."
> (My assumption is that this refers to recordings made by voice over
> artists).
>
> I'd disagree that is an important feature development in getting to the all
> important product / market fit.
>
> If the ultimate value of 42voices is getting quality voiceovers in an easier
> way and / or at lower prices (by changing how the market works) then they
> need quality voice over input.
> So good quality voice over talent and good quality recordings.
> A smart phone recording will sounds like a smart phone recording.
>
> The techie in me likes the idea of smart phone recording, but I don't
> believe it would be commercially useful.
> (Also from the little voice over requirements I've had this wouldn't be a
> recording method voice over artists would be comfortable with).
>
> Best of luck to them if they are giving it a go and thanks to all the
> speakers!
>
> Regards,
>
> Phil.
>
> Phil Woodward.
> www.hipsnip.com

Nick Light

Dont know if you guys have heard of http://www.bigaudioads.com/

Slightly different model to 42voices, but quite a nice service.

Kind regards,

Nick Light
Founder CEO
Booly Ltd

Web:  http://boo.ly
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/nicklight
Tel:  +44 (0)7899 866913
Email:   [hidden email]

On Fri 11/06/2010 14:09, Dot Alice wrote:
[...]

Robert-14
I have missed most of the discussion on the V/O artists idea.

While this may appeal to new actors looking to put together a sample reel any client will want to be present for the actual recording.

After all the director will have their own ideas on what they want to achieve.

I have been recording voice overs for commercials, tv and corporates for many years and always give direction to the V/O artist to get the right effect whether that is accent, intonation, speed etc, etc. and that 's without the agency/client wanting their input.

While the idea of producing everything 'virtually' may appeal to many on 'Open Coffee' at the end of the day it's the client who will have the final say, whoever that may be....

Robert

Helpful points, Phil, but hères a scenario: are voice-over artists at
their desktops 24/7 waiting for that potential job to pop up on the
dashboard or are they out&about (maybe going to casting calls since
that v/o lady 42Voices brought to their presentation noted that quite
a few of them are actors) with the possibility of finding somewhere
quiet to do their v/o.

Imagine too if the client's after a "random man / woman on the street
soundbite". What are 42Voices going to do? Get their v/o artist at a
desktop for recording and then synthetically mix in street-traffic
sounds?

Christian's point, from my reading, is about mobility and flexibility
for the v/o artists.

Anyway, 42Voices should touch base with you so that in the 6 week
review they can have a supporting argument about technical quality of
desktop recording compared with smartphone. It might help them clarify
their tech needs.

On Friday, June 11, 2010, Philip Woodward  wrote:

> I missed out on the weekend but was at the Friday conference of Launch 48,
> which was excellent.
>
> I just wanted to throw in my two cents in case the 42Voices guys were doing
> anything further with this, I like the idea.
> (I'm looking for a voice over artist so this would be a useful service for
> me!)
>
> On this comment by Christian:
>
> "Christian of Yahoo! was totally right to point out that instead of
> desktop recording it should be smartphone straight to their dashboard."
> (My assumption is that this refers to recordings made by voice over
> artists).
>
> I'd disagree that is an important feature development in getting to the all
> important product / market fit.
>
> If the ultimate value of 42voices is getting quality voiceovers in an easier
> way and / or at lower prices (by changing how the market works) then they
> need quality voice over input.
> So good quality voice over talent and good quality recordings.
> A smart phone recording will sounds like a smart phone recording.
>
> The techie in me likes the idea of smart phone recording, but I don't
> believe it would be commercially useful.
> (Also from the little voice over requirements I've had this wouldn't be a
> recording method voice over artists would be comfortable with).
>
> Best of luck to them if they are giving it a go and thanks to all the
> speakers!
>
> Regards,
>
> Phil.
>
> Phil Woodward.
> www.hipsnip.com

Glenn Shoosmith
Well I'm very glad to see people here actively talking about 42Voices - it's good to see some interest being garnered - and Phil - we already have over 2 dozen voice-over artists resister their interest - so I'm sure we can help you find the voice you need!

We were very lucky to have a great team - we managed to deliver a working prototype (well if would have worked if my laptop handily changed it's voice recorder from .wav for .wma at the last minute)
but that we also had a well developed financial model, revenue projections, a decent competitor analysis, route to market and marketing strategy, not to mention full wireframes for the whole platform - was pretty amazing. It was a shame that in the final presentation we were really only able to show off a fraction of the work done by the team in the time.

Our thoughts are pretty much in agreement with Phil though - the point is not to make voice-overs so-bad quality that you can do them on your mobile phone, or laptop mic - but that for many recordings a full studio (and the cost of that) is not required - rather a quiet room, and a reasonably descent mic can be perfect for a simple voice-over for a screencast and many other uses.

Oh - and for those that wondered, Sue (our voice over artist) was not just someone we brought in for the presentation - but a core member of the team that helped define and validate the offering - and obviously had a fantastic insight into the industry.

If anyone has any other questions about 42Voices, or wants to get involved, feel free to drop me an email.

Cheers

Glenn

www.bookingbug.com
The complete booking