How was GeeknRolla?

john barrett
Hi Guys,

I know a lot of you went, so how was it? Was there anything particularly interesting?
If so tell us about it and maybe we can discuss it in more detail between us.

Thanks,

John B.

Re: How was GeeknRolla?

john barrett
Actually did any of you see anything concerning making social networking safe for minors?

Anything along those lines or in the same ballpark then I would be very interested to hear about.

Thanks,

John B.

On 20 April 2010 21:02, john barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guys,

I know a lot of you went, so how was it? Was there anything particularly interesting?
If so tell us about it and maybe we can discuss it in more detail between us.

Thanks,

John B.

Re: How was GeeknRolla?

Steve Karmeinsky
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 04:02:01PM -0400, john barrett wrote:

>    I know a lot of you went, so how was it? Was there anything
>    particularly interesting?
>    If so tell us about it and maybe we can discuss it in more detail
>    between us.

There were some very good presentations and some outstanding ones.

Memorable, Andrew Scott @andrewjscott, various investor talks, Alicia
Nevarro, @ML

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]

Re: How was GeeknRolla?

john barrett
There must have been more to it than that?

On 20 April 2010 21:07, Steve Kennedy <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 04:02:01PM -0400, john barrett wrote:

>    I know a lot of you went, so how was it? Was there anything
>    particularly interesting?
>    If so tell us about it and maybe we can discuss it in more detail
>    between us.

There were some very good presentations and some outstanding ones.

Memorable, Andrew Scott @andrewjscott, various investor talks, Alicia
Nevarro, @ML

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]

Re: How was GeeknRolla?

Samuel Serra-2
I have only attended the after party( so can't talk about the main conference this afternoon), as always quite a few interesting contacts & discussions. Still the music was a bit too loud to talk properly.

P.S. they had a live stream for the afternoon talks so I am sure there are some archives you can stream now.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone

On 20 Apr 2010, at 23:31, john barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

There must have been more to it than that?

On 20 April 2010 21:07, Steve Kennedy <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 04:02:01PM -0400, john barrett wrote:

>    I know a lot of you went, so how was it? Was there anything
>    particularly interesting?
>    If so tell us about it and maybe we can discuss it in more detail
>    between us.

There were some very good presentations and some outstanding ones.

Memorable, Andrew Scott @andrewjscott, various investor talks, Alicia
Nevarro, @ML

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]

Re: How was GeeknRolla?

Hi Guys

Just got back from the afterparty. I did not attend the day show, but watched the late afternoon session on streamed via the web.

1. Pitches were , well not very good, this is not too say the ideas were not, but I just did not get them, this could be a function of my level of intelligence.
2. Mortund Lund was great, and I hope the VC's took note, i.e take a few more risks, cause "you don't know"
3. Aside from that Alicia made a presentation, but nothing new in the learning, i.e "not all VC's are the same"
4. Realised there is a very sharp person out there called Sherry Coutro (I am sure I have spelt it wrong), if anyone knows of her, or knows her please put me in touch...she was too the point, and on the ball

The afterparty, was exactly that, a party, great food, music way too loud (AGAIN), hence hard to talk/chat. Jules bought is ipad, and I realised that if you need to get attention of every startup in the room, walk in with an ipad, they will all come over to have a play, just make sure your app is sitting on the front :-)

In terms of startups, the ones I met did

1. Some sort of remote help for people, i.e if you need to buy something in japan, and you cant get it, you contact them, they will arrange and send to you, i.e someone locally buys it there for you. SO an example would be the ipad, if you want one today, they could arrange it for you (not sure if they are live)
2. Onepage, of course who are doing what I call the "About Us page for the individual"
3. I won't mention the name, cause I am not sure if he wants it mentioned, but something to do with group buying limited deals on baby clothes type of thing.
4. I actually met one of the them Cash 4 Gold companies, go figure...
5. Rummble of course, we all know what they do
6. There was another one, something to do with social apps on mobile
7. MusicVault, something to do with guess what...music, basically you play a song, and it pulls in all info about it, lyrics and all, or something like that...it was to loud to hear everything that was said
8. Another startup which was linking music with education, i.e you can listen to P Diddy and learn Fourier Transform, I didn't get it either, but then they are 1 year+ from launch, so am sure we will hear more.
9. Of course bookingbug, how could I forget them,
10. The new version of worldonahangar, don't ask me there new name, cause I can't recall it.

That's about it, but then I spent most of my time, talking ipad, and cash4gold :-).

I did meet a couple of people who were a bit 'sick' of judges telling them howto build a company, who had never built a company before themselves.

All in all I think worth attending the afterparty, but then that maybe because I am cheap :-)

Iqbal Gandham

On 20 April 2010 21:07, Steve Kennedy <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 04:02:01PM -0400, john barrett wrote:

>    I know a lot of you went, so how was it? Was there anything
>    particularly interesting?
>    If so tell us about it and maybe we can discuss it in more detail
>    between us.

There were some very good presentations and some outstanding ones.

Memorable, Andrew Scott @andrewjscott, various investor talks, Alicia
Nevarro, @ML

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email][hidden email]

Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 | [hidden email][hidden email]

I have only attended the after party( so can't talk about the main conference this afternoon), as always quite a few interesting contacts & discussions. Still the music was a bit too loud to talk properly.

P.S. they had a live stream for the afternoon talks so I am sure there are some archives you can stream now.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone

On 20 Apr 2010, at 23:31, john barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

There must have been more to it than that?

On 20 April 2010 21:07, Steve Kennedy <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 04:02:01PM -0400, john barrett wrote:

>    I know a lot of you went, so how was it? Was there anything
>    particularly interesting?
>    If so tell us about it and maybe we can discuss it in more detail
>    between us.

There were some very good presentations and some outstanding ones.

Memorable, Andrew Scott @andrewjscott, various investor talks, Alicia
Nevarro, @ML

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email][hidden email]

Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 | [hidden email][hidden email]

Web: http://blog.mydnd.com
Tel: +44 7518 345679
Twitter: @fletchnz

Grandfather's Biz (c1942): arcltd.blogspot.com

The contents of this email and all its attachments may contain privileged or confidential information. It is intended solely for the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. No one else may copy or forward all or any of it in any form. If you receive this email in error, we would be grateful if you would delete it and call or email the sender.

RE: How was GeeknRolla?

Brian Milnes

Sherry Coutu

  Serial Entrepreneur & NESTA Trustee Back

Sherry Coutu

Profile

Sherry is a non-executive director at RM Plc; New Energy Finance Limited; and The Library House Limited.  Her interests include investing in, and advising early-stage companies.  In her most recent executive post, Sherry was founder and chair of Interactive Investor, a software company serving the financial services industry.  Prior to this, she had executive roles with Accenture, Coopers & Lybrand Deloitte, the LEK Partnership and ISI Emerging Markets Ltd.  She is also a trustee of the Venture Partnership Foundation, vice chair of the Prince's Trust Business Technology Leadership Group, a member of Cambridge University Development Committee, and is on the Harvard Business School European Advisory Council.  Sherry is a Trustee of NESTA.

(And founding member of Cambridge Angels, formerly director of Library House and regular guest at local Cambridge entrepreneur type events)

I have only attended the after party( so can't talk about the main conference this afternoon), as always quite a few interesting contacts & discussions. Still the music was a bit too loud to talk properly.

P.S. they had a live stream for the afternoon talks so I am sure there are some archives you can stream now.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone

On 20 Apr 2010, at 23:31, john barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

There must have been more to it than that?

On 20 April 2010 21:07, Steve Kennedy <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 04:02:01PM -0400, john barrett wrote:

>    I know a lot of you went, so how was it? Was there anything
>    particularly interesting?
>    If so tell us about it and maybe we can discuss it in more detail
>    between us.

There were some very good presentations and some outstanding ones.

Memorable, Andrew Scott @andrewjscott, various investor talks, Alicia
Nevarro, @ML

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]

Re: How was GeeknRolla?

Glenn Shoosmith
I'm almost disappointed we only made it to 9 on Iqbal's list ;-)

I agree with pretty much everything in Iqbal's assessment of the day.
I missed some of the pitches, but the ones I saw weren't great, and the comments I heard from others weren't very complimentary either. I thought Greg Kris did a good job of presenting Decibel though

Most of the talk's were pretty good - although some didn't tell you anything new - but but of course just because it wasn't new to me - doesn't mean it wasn't new to someone else. Andy Scott from Rummble's talk was also quite good - as was Chris Fralic's talk on doing email introductions

However one of the best things about the day was the quality of people there. It's was a veritable who's who of European investors, and all of the major VC's in either early or late stage appeared to have 1 or more people there - including ones you don't see outside of their offices often. For those start-ups who wanted, it was a great opportunity to get an opening chat to a VC in a nice casual environment. And a VC is great not just for future investment - if you want to partner with one of their portfolio companies - having their VC do the introduction is a powerful way to get to an organisation

I spent a lot of the day networking- both for myself, and helping introduce other people who either asked, or I thought might be useful to each other. Like all of these things you get out of what you put in

Glenn

On 21 April 2010 01:43, iqbalgandham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On 20 April 2010 21:07, Steve Kennedy <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 04:02:01PM -0400, john barrett wrote:

>    I know a lot of you went, so how was it? Was there anything
>    particularly interesting?
>    If so tell us about it and maybe we can discuss it in more detail
>    between us.

There were some very good presentations and some outstanding ones.

Memorable, Andrew Scott @andrewjscott, various investor talks, Alicia
Nevarro, @ML

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email][hidden email]

Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 | [hidden email][hidden email]

www.bookingbug.com
The complete booking
& reservation system!

Re: How was GeeknRolla?

Gregory Vincent
I was there and thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree with most of Iqbal's points (thanks for sharing those with us!) but would add that ultimately nothing replaces being physically there.

What I found most valuable about the conference was the ability to freely interact with ANY of the guys present in a very open and relaxed environment. So, I'll definitely be back next year.

Well done to those who made it happen and especially to Mike Butcher, the engine of GeeknRolla.

We need more events like these in London and in Europe!

Greg

Grégory Vincent
Managing Director
Sponsume.com Ltd
Tel: +44(0)7765 250 303

Promote your project, get feedback and find sponsors on sponsume.com (coming soon)

FacebookTwitterVimeoYouTube

On 21 April 2010 08:21, Glenn Shoosmith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On 20 April 2010 21:07, Steve Kennedy <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 04:02:01PM -0400, john barrett wrote:

>    I know a lot of you went, so how was it? Was there anything
>    particularly interesting?
>    If so tell us about it and maybe we can discuss it in more detail
>    between us.

There were some very good presentations and some outstanding ones.

Memorable, Andrew Scott @andrewjscott, various investor talks, Alicia
Nevarro, @ML

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email][hidden email]

Meetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 | [hidden email][hidden email]

Jon Topper-2

> All in all I think worth attending the afterparty, but then that maybe
> because I am cheap :-)

Personally, Iqbal, I'm amazed that you managed to do any networking at
all in such a noisy venue.  I met a handful of people before the band
kicked off, but after that I just caught up with people I already knew.
It's difficult to make, and get, a good impression when you're having to
yell in people's ears over nonsense like Beyonce.

Jon

Re: How was GeeknRolla?

Geoff Wright
Didn't anyone think to ask to turn it down a tad?

;)

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Jon Topper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All in all I think worth attending the afterparty, but then that maybe
> because I am cheap :-)

Personally, Iqbal, I'm amazed that you managed to do any networking at
all in such a noisy venue.  I met a handful of people before the band
kicked off, but after that I just caught up with people I already knew.
It's difficult to make, and get, a good impression when you're having to
yell in people's ears over nonsense like Beyonce.

Jon

BR,

Geoff Wright

Affililabs LTD
[hidden email]
t: +44 (0) 7702 405 730
Skype: geoffw8
tw: geoffw8

RE: How was GeeknRolla?

Marc Bridgen

My highlights were:

Jason Trost of Smarkets with practical advice for start-ups. Agreed with all his points and hope the newbies in the room were listening.

Rummble dude with his Dirty Dozen. BEWARE the bubble!

Ewan MacLeod of Mobile Industry Review – he said he would be putting presentation up on his site. Interesting stats and view.

And one of the best talks I have ever seen for a range of reasons was Morten Lund – REBEL with a FOCUS. Telling it like it Mother F*cking IS and making VC’s blow.

Dodged the party ‘cos I knew it would be too loud to talk to anyone, as usual, and I don’t like warm beer.

MB

Marc Bridgen

Founder & CEO

GigJunkie

4th Floor

95 Southwark Street

London SE1 0HX

Mob: +44 (0) 7974 670 946

Tel:   +44 (0) 20 7593 3035

Skype: marcbridgen

Fax:  +44 (0) 20 7593 3029

www.twitter.com/bridgemarc

www.twitter.com/GigJunkie

Trading Company is Smart Tickets Ltd.

Registered Office: Avalon Accounting, Equity House, 4-6 School Road, Tilehurst, Reading, Berks RG31 5AL.

Company Registration Number: 6023008

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

I have only attended the after party( so can't talk about the main conference this afternoon), as always quite a few interesting contacts & discussions. Still the music was a bit too loud to talk properly.

P.S. they had a live stream for the afternoon talks so I am sure there are some archives you can stream now.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone

On 20 Apr 2010, at 23:31, john barrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

There must have been more to it than that?

On 20 April 2010 21:07, Steve Kennedy <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 04:02:01PM -0400, john barrett wrote:

>    I know a lot of you went, so how was it? Was there anything
>    particularly interesting?
>    If so tell us about it and maybe we can discuss it in more detail
>    between us.

There were some very good presentations and some outstanding ones.

Memorable, Andrew Scott @andrewjscott, various investor talks, Alicia
Nevarro, @ML

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN [hidden email]

www.bookingbug.com
The complete booking
& reservation system!

Re: How was GeeknRolla?

Mike Butcher
Guys

I hope you enjoyed GeeknRolla if you went during the day. We are
working on getting ALL of the presentations online and attaching the
relevant video. You can scroll through the posts about al the startups
pitches, and below are direct links to the presentations we have so
far, more to come.

@GeeknRolla: Rummble founder reveals his start-up rules of engagement
http://eu.techcrunch.com/2010/04/21/geeknrolla-rummble-founder-reveals-his-start-up-rules-of-engagement/

@GeeknRolla: Why app developers should look beyond the iPhone
http://eu.techcrunch.com/2010/04/20/geeknrolla-why-app-developers-should-look-beyond-the-iphone/

@GeeknRolla: A social network for horses? How not to pitch to VCs
http://eu.techcrunch.com/2010/04/20/geeknrolla-a-social-network-for-horses-how-not-to-pitch-to-a-vc/

@GeeknRolla: Big-league VCs backing Europe’s digital start-up scene
http://eu.techcrunch.com/2010/04/20/geeknrolla-big-league-vcs-backing-europes-digital-start-up-scene/

@GeeknRolla: Advice for budding start-ups: funding, staffing and getting noticed
http://eu.techcrunch.com/2010/04/20/geeknrolla-advice-for-budding-start-ups-funding-staffing-and-getting-noticed/

@GeeknRolla: Zyb founder Tommy Ahlers warns start-ups to think before a big exit
http://eu.techcrunch.com/2010/04/20/geeknrolla-zyb-founder-tommy-ahlers-warns-start-ups-to-think-before-a-big-exit/

best wishes
Mike Butcher
TechCrunch Europe

P.S. Apologies if the music was a bit loud at the after-event party,
point taken and noted for next time. However, it was a party... ;-)

Re: How was GeeknRolla?

Richard Forster
Hi Mike

Hope you can get the presentations online.  I saw some of them and they were great.  I couldn't attend the event but the live streaming was excellent, thanks for that.

cheers

Richard

On 21 April 2010 11:38, Mike Butcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Personally I think it was that social network song....do you have a copy of that somewhere,

Iqbal

Re: How was GeeknRolla?

James Crowley
Please forgive the mini plug, but we've got a round up of GeekNRolla here: http://www.techeye.net/business/geeknrolla-2010-a-rundown :)

From: Mike Butcher <[hidden email]>Sent: Wed, 21 April, 2010 11:38:07

[...]

---
James Crowley
CEO, developerFusion - the global developer community - http://www.developerfusion.com/
CTO, TechEye - all the technology news unfit for print - http://www.techeye.net/

linkedin: http://linkedin.com/in/jamescrowley
twitter: http://twitter.com/jamescrowley

RE: How was GeeknRolla?

Joao Belo

I’ve blogged about it as well: http://www.joaobelo.co.uk/?p=85

---

Joao Belo

Full-time MBA Student 2009-2010

Imperial College Business School

+44 7818183926

Blog on Venture Capital: http://www.joaobelo.co.uk

[...]

To learn more about iqbalgandham, visit his/her
member profile

To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings,
click here

---