Hosting requirements (and PM request)

Paul Curtis

Now apologies first – I seem to see a lot of messages flying around about hosting which if you’re not interested are rather dull, and now I find myself in that predicament!

So in short – I need to move one of our systems from its current platform to a new more robust solution given the sudden increase in demand.  I have actually got as far as being recommended a solution by a provider, but have suddenly thought – “that’s an awful lot, and I should be able to get the same service for a lot less”.

We are looking for a dedicated server solution which has the specification as follows:-

·         Quad Core Xeon

·         4GB RAM

·         2x300GB HDD, Raid 1

·         Windows Server 2003 32Bit

·         SQL Workgroup

·         100mb connection, 4,000GB bandwidth per month.

·         50GB backup space on a NAS

This needs to cover SQL licensing, managed back-ups and a reasonable SLA to ensure there is as little down time as possible.  I’m also keen to look at virtualised solutions as ultimately we will want a separate server instance for each client of the software, but believe a virtual instance will be sufficient over a dedicated machine.  We’re currently looking at about £600 per month for this, so would really appreciate any recommendations for alternatives at a cheaper price.

Also...if there are any decent PM’s experienced in the delivery of high volume web-sites, or anyone can recommend one, I have an amazing opportunity for a 3-6 month stint in Abu Dhabi, UAE working on an e-Commerce site for a significant airline in this area.  An incredible country and a rewarding experience for the right individual who fancies a new challenge!

Thanks for your time,

Paul

Paul Curtis

Managing Director

Unomee Ltd

(     +44 (0) 1462 457005

È  +44 (0) 7951 038591

*     [hidden email]

www  http://www.unomee.com

RE: Hosting requirements (and PM request)

Rishi-4
Hi Paul,

www.medialayer.com - they are very good at providing high performance solutions and they have a great reputation on webhostingtalk.com - i don't think there is anything other than glowing reviews for the company.

Check them out, I have a few large websites hosted with them and have never had any performance issues.

Regards,

Rishi Modha

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [entrepreneur-1056] Hosting requirements (and PM request)
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 03:15:41 -0500

[...]

Beyond Hotmail ? see what else you can do with Windows Live Find out more!

Re: Hosting requirements (and PM request)

Chris Powell-2
Paul

£600 sounds quite reasonable to me if you're getting the full 24/7
support package (firewalls, load balancing, monitoring, disk hot swap,
etc.etc.). You may be able to shave some off this but if that involves
moving to a different hosting provider, have you factored in the cost of
the move? With planning, setup, data migration, running both providers
in parallel for a while etc., it may not be worth the hassle.

Chris Powell
http://www.mindyourstreet.com

Paul Curtis wrote:

> Now apologies first – I seem to see a lot of messages flying around
> about hosting which if you’re not interested are rather dull, and now
> I find myself in that predicament!
>
> So in short – I need to move one of our systems from its current
> platform to a new more robust solution given the sudden increase in
> demand. I have actually got as far as being recommended a solution by
> a provider, but have suddenly thought – “that’s an awful lot, and I
> should be able to get the same service for a lot less”.
>
> We are looking for a dedicated server solution which has the
> specification as follows:-
>
> · Quad Core Xeon
>
> · 4GB RAM
>
> · 2x300GB HDD, Raid 1
>
> · Windows Server 2003 32Bit
>
> · SQL Workgroup
>
> · 100mb connection, 4,000GB bandwidth per month.
>
> · 50GB backup space on a NAS
>
> This needs to cover SQL licensing, managed back-ups and a reasonable
> SLA to ensure there is as little down time as possible. I’m also keen
> to look at virtualised solutions as ultimately we will want a separate
> server instance for each client of the software, but believe a virtual
> instance will be sufficient over a dedicated machine. We’re currently
> looking at about £600 per month for this, so would really appreciate
> any recommendations for alternatives at a cheaper price.
>
> Also...if there are any decent PM’s experienced in the delivery of
> high volume web-sites, or anyone can recommend one, I have an amazing
> opportunity for a 3-6 month stint in Abu Dhabi, UAE working on an
> e-Commerce site for a significant airline in this area. An incredible
> country and a rewarding experience for the right individual who
> fancies a new challenge!
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Paul
>
> Paul Curtis
>
> Managing Director
>
> Unomee Ltd
>
> ( +44 (0) 1462 457005
>
> È +44 (0) 7951 038591
>
> * [hidden email]
>
> www http://www.unomee.com
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "*REPLY*", your message will be sent to
>
> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

RE: Hosting requirements (and PM request)

ANDREW-13
Hi Paul

We have just been looking for well priced hosting and one of the best priced was www.iweb.com.

Regards

Andrew
Director

[...]

*** WARNING : This message originates from the Internet ***
The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Registered in Scotland No. 90312. Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by The Royal Bank of Scotland plc in this regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

Re: Hosting requirements (and PM request)

Geoffrey McCaleb
I agree and disagree with Paul here.

First off, he is absolutely correct in that data migrations are a pain,
especially if your goal is a seamless move with no visible downtime to the
user. You will find the costs/hassle of this could more than outweigh the
benefits of the move.

However, and maybe this is the start-up in me, but £600 a month for the
server your need seems excessive to me, even if you factor in a hefty
support and maintenance contract. While my servers are hosted in the US,
when I had a UK base I used UK2.net. While they don't out of the box offer
the kind of support your looking for, their packages are very cost
competitive and their reliability is top notch.

For example, not sure about the NAS, but they have a server that matches
your specs for £213 a month (assuming you pre-pay for the year). If you
have a way of migrating easily, they may be worth a look.

Geoffrey

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 04:36:46 -0500, Chris Powell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]

>> e-Commerce site for a significant airline in this area. An incredible
>> country and a rewarding experience for the right individual who
>> fancies a new challenge!
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> Paul Curtis
>>
>> Managing Director
>>
>> Unomee Ltd
>>
>> ( +44 (0) 1462 457005
>>
>> È +44 (0) 7951 038591
>>
>> * [hidden email]
>>
>> www http://www.unomee.com
>>

>> --
>> Please Note: If you hit "*REPLY*", your message will be sent to
>>
>> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
>> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
> This message was sent by Chris Powell ([hidden email]) from
London
> OpenCoffee Meetup.
> To learn more about Chris Powell, visit his/her member profile:
> http://www.meetup.com/opencoffee/members/8343819/
> To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here:
> http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/
> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

--
geoffrey mccaleb: bedl.am studios ltd.
email: [hidden email] | phone: +44-7900-911823

RE: Hosting requirements (and PM request)

Paul Curtis
Thanks Geoffrey and Paul,

This has been really valuable, and I must admit that I had forgotten about the pain associated with a data migration - as we are due to hit a busy season it may well be worth delaying the decision till this has passed.

The server price is an interesting one - the cost of the server on its own from RapidSwitch (the current provider) is £260 per month, the additional cost comes with all the support, back-ups and SQL management, as we are looking for a completely outsourced solution.

So pragmatically we will probably stay where we are now and go through a proper tender process when the dust settles on the current season - given that we are in a recession prices should become even more competitive going forward.

Thanks again for everyone's help in this matter,

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul Curtis
Managing Director
Unomee Ltd

U     +44 (0) 1462 457005
+44 (0) 7951 038591
0     [hidden email]
www  http://www.unomee.com

wrote:

> [...]

>> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
>> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on
> This message was sent by Chris Powell ([hidden email]) from
London
> OpenCoffee Meetup.
> To learn more about Chris Powell, visit his/her member profile:
> http://www.meetup.com/opencoffee/members/8343819/
> To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here:
> http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/
> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

--
geoffrey mccaleb: bedl.am studios ltd.
email: [hidden email] | phone: +44-7900-911823
jabber/msn: [hidden email] | yahoo: bedlam_ltd | skype: bedl.am

Re: Hosting requirements (and PM request)

Steve Ganly
How about getting one or two more servers (say uk2 £59 per month) and
using those to serve up static files?

It will ease the load on your main server and give you a nice path
to expand even further.

You could think about Amazons EC2 servers, but that'll cost you more
in bandwidth.

Let me know if you'd like more info on this - setting up rsync jobs
to get the files copied from your application/db server to the static
file servers (asset hosts). It's pretty straightforward.

Steve.

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 05:37:38AM -0500, Paul Curtis wrote:

> Thanks Geoffrey and Paul,
>
> This has been really valuable, and I must admit that I had forgotten about the pain associated with a data migration - as we are due to hit a busy season it may well be worth delaying the decision till this has passed.
>
> The server price is an interesting one - the cost of the server on its own from RapidSwitch (the current provider) is £260 per month, the additional cost comes with all the support, back-ups and SQL management, as we are looking for a completely outsourced solution.
>
> So pragmatically we will probably stay where we are now and go through a proper tender process when the dust settles on the current season - given that we are in a recession prices should become even more competitive going forward.
>
> Thanks again for everyone's help in this matter,
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Paul
>

> Paul Curtis
> Managing Director
> Unomee Ltd
>
> U     +44 (0) 1462 457005
> +44 (0) 7951 038591
> 0     [hidden email]
> www  http://www.unomee.com

Tony Lucas
Paul (and all),

If I can offer any advice in this area then please let me know.
XCalibre has been providing hosting solutions for 11 years, and
requirements can vary a lot, so happy to help and advise (and not to get
a sale, we remember what it was like being a startup, even after 11 years!).

In that respect I think everyone who has replied today has had valid
opinions, but it really depends what suits people most appropriately
depending on their business and technical skills.

Regards,

Tony Lucas
Chief Executive Officer
XCalibre Communications Ltd
http://www.xcalibre.co.uk

> How about getting one or two more servers (say uk2 £59 per month) and
> using those to serve up static files?
>
> It will ease the load on your main server and give you a nice path
> to expand even further.
>
> You could think about Amazons EC2 servers, but that'll cost you more
> in bandwidth.
>
> Let me know if you'd like more info on this - setting up rsync jobs
> to get the files copied from your application/db server to the static
> file servers (asset hosts). It's pretty straightforward.
>

> Steve.
>

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 05:37:38AM -0500, Paul Curtis wrote:
>
>> Thanks Geoffrey and Paul,
>>
>> This has been really valuable, and I must admit that I had forgotten about the pain associated with a data migration - as we are due to hit a busy season it may well be worth delaying the decision till this has passed.
>>
>> The server price is an interesting one - the cost of the server on its own from RapidSwitch (the current provider) is £260 per month, the additional cost comes with all the support, back-ups and SQL management, as we are looking for a completely outsourced solution.
>>
>> So pragmatically we will probably stay where we are now and go through a proper tender process when the dust settles on the current season - given that we are in a recession prices should become even more competitive going forward.
>>
>> Thanks again for everyone's help in this matter,
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> Paul Curtis
>> Managing Director
>> Unomee Ltd
>>
>> U     +44 (0) 1462 457005
>> +44 (0) 7951 038591
>> 0     [hidden email]
>> www  http://www.unomee.com

Martin Baker

Thanks for the plug!!

My day job is Managing Director of UK2 [hidden email]

Paul if it would help I can have one of my tech guys contact you .We
have a number of server set ups that would fit your requirements.

Let me know if I can be of help.

Rgds

Martin

ÐÏࡱá