FRIDAY AFTERNOON GREENTECH IDEA #1: A long range EV solution - a Scalextric type EV lane (with crash barrier monted charge rails) - would it work?

FRIDAY AFTERNOON GREENTECH IDEA #1: A long range EV solution - a Scalextric type EV lane (with crash barrier monted charge rails) - would it work?

Senake Atureliya
Hi All,

It's Friday afternoon, so here's a mad (or maybe not) idea to brighten up the start to the weekend...

Last night, after reading ”why battery powered cars won’t go the distance” (see http://kn.theiet.org/magazine/issues/10 ... s-1009.cfm) and watching a old electric car pitch on Dragons Den, I had a viable idea - tempered by a lot of prior experience (see below).

Why not use the proven principles of high speed electric trains to enable smaller, lighter electric cars to go long distance? With guidance technology becoming a reality, maybe a variation on the armco (crash) barrier fitted to a special EV lane could provide a low cost solution that:

+ overcome the highlighted issue of battery weight, range and size.
+ allows vehicles to leave and join the road whenever they wish.
+ travel at a higher speed (using more current than just the batteries could supply).

A bit about me...and why this may not be such a md idea

+ I am an Electrical Engineer with a degree from Southampton University
+ My fuel cell knowledge dates back to 1986 when a friend was working for a blue chip company.
+ As part of a Chamber of Commerce visit to Norway, I drove the Think electric car v1 back in 1993.
+ Again back in 1993, my engineering business assisted one of the universities in developeing 90% efficienct gas turbine engines - originally intended for a hybrid car.
+ I recently attended a Low Carbon CVP event so am reasonably up to date technologically.
+ Having set up and run a production line machinery company, I know about the real cost and practicalities of electical and mechanical design.
+ I now have a G-Wiz which is a perfect 2nd car for “whizzing” around London’s crowded streets.

Pictures and more info here - http://preview.tinyurl.com/SlotCarMotorways

If it's a good idea, it would be great for anyone to evaluate and go with it.

Your comments would be most appreciated

Kind regards

Senake Atureliya
CEO
Pie Finance, London

Re: FRIDAY AFTERNOON GREENTECH IDEA #1: A long range EV solution - a Scalextric type EV lane (with crash barrier monted charge rails) - would it work?

shiroshana
Hello Senaka,   I think there is some thing to it. However, it is important to get it right. Trains are used by people to a place some where close to the place they want to go and then take alternate transport to complete the journey. Cars do it simply by going A to B. Do you see the problem to begin with. The initial cost will be so huge. No one will fund it as it will be more use to use that money to develope hydrogen fuel cell technology.

I am not rubbishing your idea, I am just asking what you do think about the initial cost.

Regards,
Shiroshana Tissera.

On 18 June 2010 16:40, Senake Atureliya <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Brian Milnes

Hi Senake,

The slot car power idea is terribly expensive, and not much good for the predominantly short journeys. (The idea has been around for a long time; I seem to remember an electric tram system from the 19th century proposing such a system.) Live electrickery in close proximity to the travelling animals is probably the stuff of HSE executives’ nightmares…

Probably an interim solution would be to have battery exchange points, where you can just swap out your nearly dead batteries for pre-charged ones. Again, a substantial investment  required, but not on the infrastructure scale you suggest.

And you’d need to design it in, and you’d prefer to have a common standard across vehicle manufacturers.

Brian

Re: FRIDAY AFTERNOON GREENTECH IDEA #1: A long range EV solution - a Scalextric type EV lane (with crash barrier monted charge rails) - would it work?

A better one is to pull electricity out of thin air when needed http://www.economist.com/node/16295708

I.

Re: FRIDAY AFTERNOON GREENTECH IDEA #1: A long range EV solution - a Scalextric type EV lane (with crash barrier monted charge rails) - would it work?

Senake Atureliya-2
Brian - you're right about the infrastructure costs, but everyting to do with the automobile industry and roads required serious money that only tier 1 manufacturers or the government can afford. To minimise costs, my thoughts were to retrofit the charging strips to the armco/crash barriers and then, only do it on main stretches of motorway/freeway.

Shiroshana - this would still allow cars to go from A to B, so maybe I'm not understanding your comment?

Senake

RE: FRIDAY AFTERNOON GREENTECH IDEA #1: A long range EV solution - a Scalextric type EV lane (with crash barrier monted charge rails) - would it work?

Adam Gordalsi

Love the idea Senake but reality may bite…..

I am sure that all the major oil companies and car manufactures will be working on every conceivable permutation alternative fuel/transport option, certainly for a national solution.

That said may be worth looking at how this technology could be applied for more bespoke/niche situations….Victorian vehicular railways springs to mind.

Make sense?

Adam Gordalsi

vuemotion

359 Roman Road

London

E3 5QR

mobile: 07903 462 865

fax: 0845 004 5790

email: [hidden email]

www.vuemotion.com

0845 868 0789

Click here for our vuemotion twitter updates
Click here to join my LinkedIn profile

Re: FRIDAY AFTERNOON GREENTECH IDEA #1: A long range EV solution - a Scalextric type EV lane (with crash barrier monted charge rails) - would it work?

Senake Atureliya
Hi Adam,

Yes, I'm sure it's been thought of and discarded as an idea too, but just in case it hasn't...

I Googled it and coundn't find Victorian Vehicular Railway. Could you expand on what you mean?

Senake

On 18 June 2010 17:06, Adam Gordalsi <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Iqbal,

An interesting article and solution which could make all our TV reception much worse in the future ;-)
Having said that induction may be a safer way to do the energy transfer if it wasn't too inefficient (which it probably is).

James May of Top Gear fame also apparently met a couple of guys in the dessert who could pull gasoline out of the air too!

Senake

On 18 June 2010 17:03, iqbalgandham <[hidden email]> wrote:
A better one is to pull electricity out of thin air when needed http://www.economist.com/node/16295708

I.

Re: FRIDAY AFTERNOON GREENTECH IDEA #1: A long range EV solution - a Scalextric type EV lane (with crash barrier monted charge rails) - would it work?

Larry-6
Not bad...
But it is a matter of investments, not technical feasibility.
A town, a region, a motorway could build such a railroad,
and make a profit from :
  1. the economy of fuel,
  2. the biggest max flow.
The problem is how to enter and how to leave the "electronic train-wagon" ?
Fully automated is complicated and expensive,
Partially human is a big problem of training and risks.
Have you ever taken the Shuttle for cars running under the channel:
entering and leaving is not done that easily and all do it together.

Best regards/ Cordialement
Larry/Laurent Guyot-Sionnest
+33(0) 6 74 19 91 33

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 17:40, Senake Atureliya <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Seanke probably because I meant “funicular railway” :)  Just having a moment. Plus may be going off at a tangent anyway!

For me this was an adaptation of a technology that catered for a niche situation. Today we have this belief that if we invent something it is for mass application and will make those involved very rich. I am much more of a fan of seeing more niche solutions being worked on.

Here’s a scenario. Many island small island countries have transport issues that centre around high car usage and the associated problems. What they need are “green” solutions that don’t cost the earth but provide a usable alternative. For example La Reunion in the Indian Ocean has a population around 900k and on average at least 2 cars per household, all on a very small island that you can navigate round in about 4 hours. They have had in the planning a mono rail solution between the capital to the port and down to the resort areas, a great solution which would take huge numbers of commuters and tourists off the roads [all be they very good roads] having a major effect on the rising pollution levels. BUT it was shelved due to cost. My thoughts are if only somebody could suggest something less costly but as innovative, perhaps on the lines of your idea but more mass transit like.

[...]

This message was sent by Senake Atureliya ([hidden email]) from London OpenCoffee Meetup.

To learn more about Senake Atureliya, visit his/her member profile

Re: FRIDAY AFTERNOON GREENTECH IDEA #1: A long range EV solution - a Scalextric type EV lane (with crash barrier monted charge rails) - would it work?

Senake Atureliya
A bit of an update...

As expected, it wasn't an original idea (see the 4th paragraph down on http://home.earthlink.net/~fradella/car.htm), but according to the site it's a workable one with only institutional & short term ROI, not technical limitations.

The (possibly out of date) estimates predict that if implemented, the US markets alone would be worth $5 billion yearly - it doesn't mention over what period though - for the power strips and feeders. Other markets created by the innovative components also mentioned to complete an environmental energy powered infrastructure include $20 billion yearly for roadside flywheel batteries, $20 billion yearly for roadside photovoltaic panels and $10 billion yearly for roadside windmills. Personally, I thought that photovoltaics were a much more costly  route than wind, but I may be out of date...
The information was dug up by the guys at my favourite (big, IP unprotectedable) ideas validation web site - the half bakery (http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Slot_20car_20freeway#1276895080) - in an impressively short 3-4 hours.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Senake