Bank accounts

Jay Nguyen
Hi all,

We're in the process of setting up a new company and would like to get recommendations on banks to have an account with.  We've previously used Barclays but haven't been all that impressed.  Does anyone have any positive suggestions?

Thanks
Jay

Re: Bank accounts

Abbey

We're in the process of setting up a new company and would like to get recommendations on banks to have an account with.  We've previously used Barclays but haven't been all that impressed.  Does anyone have any positive suggestions?

Thanks
Jay

Re: Bank accounts

Robert Claeson

On 24 Mar 2009, at 17:20, Jay Nguyen wrote:

> We're in the process of setting up a new company and would like to
> get recommendations on banks to have an account with.  We've
> previously used Barclays but haven't been all that impressed.  Does
> anyone have any positive suggestions?

HSBC. But the name of the bank doesn't matter quite as much as the
person that you're dealing with at the bank. However if you're doing a
lot of business with clients in the eurozone (as I do), I've still not
found a UK bank that will allow you access to cheap euro payments
using the SEPA system although all major UK banks are connected to the
system.

Robert

Re: Bank accounts

Fabrice Ward
A bank's a bank really. I use HSBC and they're fine, have my own manager who
sorts anything out I want sorting out. I'll pass you his details if you
want.

You might want to take a look at the Cooperative Bank though, as they treat
their customers very well, and have great deals for small businesses, like
they'll give you free banking and no transcation charges if you're a member
of the association of small businesses (I think).

You might want to look at some of the other ethical banks like Triodos, as
they may do better deals than the more mainstream ones, so long as your new
business isn't coal power or real fur ;-)

On 24/03/2009 17:20, "Jay Nguyen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're in the process of setting up a new company and would like to get
> recommendations on banks to have an account with.  We've previously used
> Barclays but haven't been all that impressed.  Does anyone have any positive
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Jay
>

> --
> Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this
> Meetup Support: [hidden email]
> 632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA

RE: Bank accounts

Dominic Williams
I've done Natwest, which was truly appalling and am now with HSBC.

They are very good

RE: Bank accounts

Eliette
I would agree with this we tend to advise our clients of either HSBC or the
co-operative.

The co-operative is along the ethical line and has very good customer
services.

HSBC, although a monster in terms of size, manages to have a local feel. We
actually bank with them and in my opinion they are a class above say Abbey
or Barclays in terms of customer facing services. You get to talk to your
own business manager who won't dump you as soon as you sign on the dotted
line.

When choosing banks always do your research, find out what they offer and
develop a friendly relationship with the manager dealing with your
application. I would recommend steering away from applying online and do it
at your local branch (just make its of a decent size and can support you on
going.

Hope this helps

All the best

  Eliette Gordalsi
   Business Support and Lifestyle Management Solutions
B  Savoir Vivre UK
S  T   : +44 (0)208 144 7805
T  M : +44 (0)7784 281 956
5  E   : [hidden email]
   W   : www.savoirvivreuk.com

-----------------------

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed
and may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, retention, disclosure,
copying, printing, forwarding or dissemination of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and please erase all
copies of the message and its attachments.
Thank you for your co-operation.-----Original Message-----
I've done Natwest, which was truly appalling and am now with HSBC.

They are very good

RE: Bank accounts

Carel Solomon
I'd agree with everyone else on HSBC - heaps better than RBS which was an absolute disaster for us. However, must say that I'm not 100% happy with HSBC. I find them expensive and very impersonal. But at least HSBC knows the difference between a Direct Debit and Standing Order - for some reason our RBS account manager suggested using Standing Orders to *collect* regular payments of which the amount varies on a monthly basis.

Carel

Carel Solomon   -   managing director  -  (t)  020 8099 4881  -  (m)  0777 3282 693  -  (w)  www.genzee.co.uk
genzee limited | Voice Solutions | IT Consultancy | Web Development
registered in england & wales. 05444125 vat no. 864026430  registered office. 31 Twickenham Gardens, London HA3 6BG

We're in the process of setting up a new company and would like to get recommendations on banks to have an account with.  We've previously used Barclays but haven't been all that impressed.  Does anyone have any positive suggestions?

Thanks
Jay

Re: Bank accounts

milosh z
HSBC or natwest

avoid RBS as well as lloyds

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Carel Solomon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd agree with everyone else on HSBC - heaps better than RBS which was an absolute disaster for us. However, must say that I'm not 100% happy with HSBC. I find them expensive and very impersonal. But at least HSBC knows the difference between a Direct Debit and Standing Order - for some reason our RBS account manager suggested using Standing Orders to *collect* regular payments of which the amount varies on a monthly basis.
>
> Carel
>

> Carel Solomon   -   managing director  -  (t)  020 8099 4881  -  (m)  0777 3282 693  -  (w)  www.genzee.co.uk
> genzee limited | Voice Solutions | IT Consultancy | Web Development
> registered in england & wales. 05444125 vat no. 864026430  registered office. 31 Twickenham Gardens, London HA3 6BG

Milosh Zorica
+54 9 11 5015 6476
+44 78 0524 4830
www.coroflot.com/miloshz

RE: Bank accounts

Simon Jenner
We have used RBS and Lloyds and can't recommend either

Simon

Simon Jenner, stirring the pot of entrepreneurial magic
inbizvest - Dragons' Den for the internet
Chief Entrepreneur
[hidden email]
M: 07900 885371
Web: www.inbizvest.com
Twitter: @inbizvest
Blog: blog.inbizvest.com

I've done Natwest, which was truly appalling and am now with HSBC.

They are very good

Re: Bank accounts

milosh z
especially insurance business of lloyds i cant remember!

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Simon Jenner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have used RBS and Lloyds and can't recommend either
>
> Simon
>
> Simon Jenner, stirring the pot of entrepreneurial magic
> inbizvest - Dragons' Den for the internet
> Chief Entrepreneur
> [hidden email]
> M: 07900 885371
> Web: www.inbizvest.com
> Twitter: @inbizvest
> Blog: blog.inbizvest.com

sorry, i mean, cant reccommend ;)

--
Milosh Zorica
+54 9 11 5015 6476

RE: Bank accounts

Tim Dempsey

If you’re looking for a nice overdraft or loan facility then choose a government bank like RBS, Natwest, Lloyds etc. – they tend to be better for this at the moment.

Kind regards,

Tim Dempsey

Director, Epiphany Capital Ltd.

cid:image002.gif@01C91291.1E16D320T: +44 (0)161 918 6716 | M: +44 (0)7771 74 78 74 |Twitter: tim_dempsey
E:
[hidden email]  | www.epiphanycapital.co.uk
P: One Central Park, Northampton Road, Manchester. M40 5WW

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the organisation. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The organisation accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

I've done Natwest, which was truly appalling and am now with HSBC.

They are very good

We're in the process of setting up a new company and would like to get

recommendations on banks to have an account with.  We've previously used

Barclays but haven't been all that impressed.  Does anyone have any

positive suggestions?

Thanks

Jay

--

Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone

This message was sent by Jay Nguyen ([hidden email]) from London

OpenCoffee Meetup.

To learn more about Jay Nguyen, visit his/her member profile:

http://www.meetup.com/opencoffee/members/7612263/

To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here:

http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/

This message was sent by Dominic Williams ([hidden email]) from London OpenCoffee Meetup.

To learn more about Dominic Williams, visit his/her member profile: http://www.meetup.com/opencoffee/members/8966755/

RE: Bank accounts

Craig Barrack

I have used NatWest and am currently moving.  The theory is that a government owned bank will be more predisposed to a loan / overdraft isn’t the practice.  The local staff were very supportive of a small loan for my business, which was stamped upon from a great height by their central credit committee.  This was even under the auspices of the government’s new and much vaunted EFG scheme (replacing the SFLG scheme where the DFERR underwrites 75% of loan, reducing the exposure to the bank, so theoretically encouraging them to lend money to small / early stage companies).

An accountant friend of mine has a senior contact at NatWest, who confided in him that getting money from them at the moment will be “blood from a stone”.

I've done Natwest, which was truly appalling and am now with HSBC.

They are very good

RE: Bank accounts

Jay Nguyen
Thank you everyone for all the responses to the request - it appears that
that top ranking suggestions were:
1. HSBC
2. Abbey
3. Cooperative Bank

We'll review the offerings from each of these banks and let you know which
one we'll choose (and hopefully why.)

Many thanks!!

Jay

Re: Bank accounts

Forgot, Abbey offers free banking for pretty much all you need to do,

and if neone wants a simple online accounts system for invoices etc, and online VAt + HR try Kashflow awesome, and about £15/mnth or something like that, and plugs into viapost (i.e if you post alot of invoices, letters, viapost lets you do that from ur PC, for £0.35 they print it, stick in envelope and post it for you, all u do is email it to them)

Iqbal

Re: Bank accounts

Bill Brown-3
I use HSBC its online too and I don't pay charges for the first year.
I have a free savings business account there too.
No idea what the charges will be soon though.
Bill

2009/3/24 Jay Nguyen <[hidden email]>
Hi all,

We're in the process of setting up a new company and would like to get recommendations on banks to have an account with.  We've previously used Barclays but haven't been all that impressed.  Does anyone have any positive suggestions?

Thanks
Jay

Re: Bank accounts

Jon Vollemaere
We use HSBC - they offer a deal of 2 years no fees for start ups,
And a very fast on transfers etc. Also have some free services for small
business