99designs.com - feedback

12

99designs.com - feedback

Hardeep Rai
Hi Jon,

I have a good friend that has used www.99designs.com. When he showed me his end product I could not believe he'd only paid US$300 for it ! It was logo and a business card. Very impressive.

I think the way it works is that various freelancers read your profile and then produce a mock up. You can then say what you like / don't like and they fine tune it until you get what you want.

I've not used it myself yet, but when I'm ready - I've always thought that would be my first port of call....

What attracts me to it is that there are a number of people pitching for your business. Needless to say - some of these will not be any good - but some of them will be...

Thanks.

Hardeep.

Re: 99designs.com - feedback

Nick Barker
Hi Jon/Harddeep

I've used both 99Designs & Elance for logos - here are my experiences, guidelines and advice on both:

Using 99Designs: Sourcing low cost logo designs - PART 2
Sourcing low cost logo designs - PART 1

Hope it helps

Best

Nick

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Hardeep Rai <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jon,

I have a good friend that has used www.99designs.com. When he showed me his end product I could not believe he'd only paid US$300 for it ! It was logo and a business card. Very impressive.

I think the way it works is that various freelancers read your profile and then produce a mock up. You can then say what you like / don't like and they fine tune it until you get what you want.

I've not used it myself yet, but when I'm ready - I've always thought that would be my first port of call....

What attracts me to it is that there are a number of people pitching for your business. Needless to say - some of these will not be any good - but some of them will be...

Thanks.

Hardeep.

Nick Barker
Viisys CEO

Email:    [hidden email]
Mobile:  +44 (0)7717 757766
Website: viisys.com, e20portal.com & awaremonitoring.com
Blog:      nickpoint.co.uk
Twitter:   http://twitter.com/nickpoint

Re: 99designs.com - feedback

Larry-6
On 4/3/09, Nick Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Best regards/ Cordialement
Larry/Laurent Guyot-Sionnest
Chief Tiki Officer
New !  :  www.tiki6keys.com
+33(0) 6 74 19 91 33

Re: 99designs.com - feedback

Fabrice Ward
Re: [entrepreneur-1056] 99designs.com - feedback Free pitching is absolutely not the right way to go. A pitch should cost the agency thousands or they’re just not doing it right.

On 06/04/2009 04:38, "Larry" <lgs@...> wrote:

Hi,

Our designer anwered with

http://www.design.org.au/content.cfm?id=245

http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/en/About-Design/Research/The-Business-of-Design2/Winning-business/
= free pitching is not a solid method for a company.

Larry

On 4/3/09, Nick Barker <nick.barker@...> wrote:
Hi Jon/Harddeep

I've used both 99Designs & Elance for logos - here are my experiences, guidelines and advice on both:

Using 99Designs: Sourcing low cost logo designs - PART 2 <http://nickpoint.co.uk/2009/01/28/using-99designs-sourcing-low-cost-logo-designs-part-2/>
Sourcing low cost logo designs - PART 1 <http://nickpoint.co.uk/2009/01/20/sourcing-low-cost-logo-designs-part-1/>

Hope it helps

Best

Nick

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Hardeep Rai <Hrai69@...> wrote:
Hi Jon,

I have a good friend that has used www.99designs.com <http://www.99designs.com/> . When he showed me his end product I could not believe he'd only paid US$300 for it ! It was logo and a business card. Very impressive.

I think the way it works is that various freelancers read your profile and then produce a mock up. You can then say what you like / don't like and they fine tune it until you get what you want.

I've not used it myself yet, but when I'm ready - I've always thought that would be my first port of call....

What attracts me to it is that there are a number of people pitching for your business. Needless to say - some of these will not be any good - but some of them will be...

Thanks.

Hardeep.

Meetup Support: support@...

Re: 99designs.com - feedback

James Crowley
At least based on my experience, having worked at a couple of successful london digital agencies... much as we hated it, if you're going after large accounts, it's become the accepted norm that you will have to go through an extensive pitch process, generally at no cost to the end client. Obviously this can become very expensive for the pitching agency, very quickly...!

James

2009/4/6 Fabrice Ward <[hidden email]>
[...]

 Crowley
Managing Director
Developer Fusion - Connecting developers worldwide

Developer Fusion Ltd | 58 Sandringham Close | Enfield, EN1 3JH
mob: 07986 624128 web: http://www.developerfusion.com/

RE: 99designs.com - feedback

Michael Fotoohi

Hi Everyone,

I don’t usually make a lot of contribution to this community so I thought it may be a good time to do so. I have a passion for keeping our planet alive and well and over past few years I have been looking into technologies that are available that can radically change the way we pollute the environment and in turn reduce carbon emissions.

So I thought I share some interesting videos from youtube with you to kick start the debate and in turn perhaps some of you will find it interesting enough to start your own ventures for the future.

Now the buzz word right now is clean energy and most politicians tell us that it will take 30 years before we can begin to reduce our CO2 emissions in any meaningful way. Well my answer to that is baloney.

The technologies that we need are here and simple to use and in fact they were invented over 100 years ago and the buzz word is H2O or hydrogen to make it simple to understand. All you need to make hydrogen from tap water is direct current and that’s it. You can power cars, that is your car with a bottle of water so easily that you wouldn’t believe it. The videos below will show you some of the ways that other people are going about powering vehicles on this technology and it doesn’t need a fuel cell either. The H2O can be directly connected to a carburettor to power a car.

In fact there are kits for a few pounds that you can buy and run your car on hydrogen tomorrow and the good things is that first it is a clean fuel, secondly it cost almost nothing compared to Petrol.

This first video shows a guy who connected a can of water to his engine and runs his car with it. No extra conversions needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkV54htvOQs&feature=related

This one shows a toy car using a fuel cell running on water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UORVzauh98Q&feature=related

How to make a simple H2O Fuel cell. If you did chemistry in school in 5th grade they would show you this. Connect a couple of plates to electricity to cause electrolysis to split water into its components:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz-uHj79wy0&feature=channel

This one starts you up on the path of making complex pulse modulated H2O generation that creates a lot of gas and consumes much lower energy, You may need some electronics knowledge for this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=vp6HTFcbtdU&NR=1

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ieo_MfpVx2o&feature=related

More:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuLnWHC63gk&feature=related

IMHO without getting too political is that most governments and oil dependent companies try to tell us that this kind of science is actually science fiction and you should not try it at home, in fact tomorrow the government can tell everyone that there is a small subsidy for using H2O and believe it or not it costs less that 500 pounds to convert your car and run it on water, but naturally no tax for the government from oil and world chaos will follow if everyone was to do this. It will mean that you can cook for free with just a small solar panel on your roof and generate H2O which also replaces natural gas for cooking and heating your house and it will cost you a big ZERO indefinitely or until your Solar panel blows up J

I hope this is been interesting for you and may be it will give you guys some interesting ideas for the future. If you like more in depth knowledge about the ideas here ping me and I can point you into more complex ways of generating energy from tap water.

Cheers,

Mike

Managing Director

Mob: (+44) 7771 750 806

www.micazook.com

RE: 99designs.com - feedback

Brian Milnes

A genuine question:

What is the net benefit when the pollution from the (various and average) electricity generation stations is taken into account?

Re: 99designs.com - feedback

Chris Powell-2
Ignore it, it's a scam (the so-called HHO scam):
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4276846.html?series=19,
http://www.aardvark.co.nz/hho_scam.shtml. Any, and I mean any, HHO
system that relies solely on the electricity generated from a car’s
alternator to split water into its constituent parts cannot possibly
increase fuel efficiency by significant amounts (some claim 100%!).

Regards
Chris Powell
mindyourstreet.com

Brian Milnes wrote:

> A genuine question:
>
> What is the net benefit when the pollution from the (various and
> average) electricity generation stations is taken into account?

Steve Kennedy
On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 04:51:11AM -0500, Michael Fotoohi wrote:

[snip]
>    The technologies that we need are here and simple to use and in fact
>    they were invented over 100 years ago and the buzz word is H2O or
>    hydrogen to make it simple to understand. All you need to make hydrogen
>    from tap water is direct current and that's it. You can power cars,
>    that is your car with a bottle of water so easily that you wouldn't
>    believe it. The videos below will show you some of the ways that other
>    people are going about powering vehicles on this technology and it
>    doesn't need a fuel cell either. The H2O can be directly connected to a
>    carburettor to power a car.

There are a couple of issues here: -

 * Generation of hydrogen, breaking H2O into H2 and O2 by electrical
   methods is expensive and you're using conventional carbon inefficient
   systems (or nuclear) to produce the hydrogen.

 * Storage of hydrogen is incredibly complex, not just because it's a
   gas (as in H2 molecules are very small - so need very tight seals
   etc), but it's also incredibly explosive.

   I saw a program about hydrogen many years ago where they shot
   pressurised cylinders full of various gasses (from about a mile away)
   the cylinder was placed against a brick wall and the resulting
   explosing filmed. When the hydrogen cylinder was shot, they wouldn't
   show the explosion as people would not believe hydrogen was safe, but
   the result was a crater and NO wall.

   Generally hydrogen has to be stored at low pressure and even
   dissolved in minerals to make it safer, which adds weight and cost.

 * A modern car engine is made of steel which melts at 2000 deg C,
   petrol burns below this temp, hydrogen burns much hotter and without
   very clever adjustments would melt the engine.

 * Most research has tended towards using fuel cells which use the
   combination of hydrogen and oxygen back into water (which is a cold
   process) and using the electricity to charge batteries/run electric
   motors.

>    In fact there are kits for a few pounds that you can buy and run your
>    car on hydrogen tomorrow and the good things is that first it is a
>    clean fuel, secondly it cost almost nothing compared to Petrol.

Hydrogen as above is an expensive fuel (at the moment), though it is
very clean in itself.

[snip]

>    IMHO without getting too political is that most governments and oil
>    dependent companies try to tell us that this kind of science is
>    actually science fiction and you should not try it at home, in fact
>    tomorrow the government can tell everyone that there is a small subsidy
>    for using H2O and believe it or not it costs less that 500 pounds to
>    convert your car and run it on water, but naturally no tax for the
>    government from oil and world chaos will follow if everyone was to do
>    this. It will mean that you can cook for free with just a small solar
>    panel on your roof and generate H2O which also replaces natural gas for
>    cooking and heating your house and it will cost you a big ZERO
>    indefinitely or until your Solar panel blows up J

Solar panels are expensive and the process of making them is very
environmentally unfriendly, I also wouldn't want hydrogen gas flowing
through pipes in my home ... you'd have to modify all your burners for a
start and you'd probably want to put a smell in to the hydrogen (though
by the time you'd noticed the smell, it's probably too late).

If it really was that simple, hydrogen would be in common use by now.

Steve Kennedy CSO Textic Ltd.  m 07775 755503
t   01628 407 360              www.textic.com
f   01628 631 200

Re: 99designs.com - feedback

Mehdi Siami
I don't mean to be rude, but is this a late April fool?

If its genuine, sorry. Not your fault, just an indictment of the poor education system that fails to teach basic science.

No time to explain, but think about the basic laws of thermodynamics and how much energy you need to move a tonne of steel down the road, and how you can produce that.

There are prototype hydrogen cars out there and may companies are spending millions on developing them. But nothing you can do with a DIY kit from e-bay. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle or http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/

It does not reduce greenhouse gasses only transfers it away from towns. So great for LA where they have smog issues, or to get you free in to the London congestion zone. Only way it can reduce carbon is by producing all the electricity by nuclear.

Apologies if this sounds patronising.

On 7 Apr 2009, at 10:51, Michael Fotoohi wrote:

[...]

<image001.gif>

Re: 99designs.com - feedback

Paul McGrath
I had to double-take when I read this to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

You are seriously suggesting people tinker around with their car engines using some kind of home-brew kit whose purpose is to make a highly explosive gas (i.e. Hydrogen) - in an environment (car engine space) containing other combustible and dangerous materials.

Electrolysis - the process behind the production of hydrogen that you mention below - requires a large amount of energy input - where does the electricity come from ? If you are intending to create the hydrogen whilst the car is not in use - where is the hydrogen stored ?

The cathode/anode pair you use - will directly affect the amount of hydrogen produced - and the amount of electricity input consumed. The longevity of the process is also dependent on choosing the right cathode/anode pair (right metallic chemistry).

Whilst I admire your ambition and share the same long term goals - there are no shortcuts to technological innovation.

Its not baloney - I was a chemist.

Cheers
Paul

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Michael Fotoohi <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Well that is a very complex question, One that I don’t have exact answers for without doing complex analysis and a lot of research into. IMHO one thing is quite clear and that there is a net benefit. If you reduce the components that make CO2 then you are making a net saving.

Once the CO2 emissions for creating the solar panel are taken into account over time the energy generation will have few components that need external energy thus external CO2 emissions. The water is the part that will create CO2 because some pumping station somewhere is delivering the water to you however in countries like UK that can be removed from the CO2 chain if we simple gather rain water from our roof which easily eliminates the need for that. Also after burning the fuel you are left with steam so you can gather the steam and reuse it again in a semi circular fashion to reduce water loss.

Also taking into account the amount of energy digging for coal or oil and processing the fuel and transportation consumes and adds to the CO2 emission it makes perfect sense to produce your fuel locally thus eliminating the need for all the other factors in the chain that are high CO2 emitters. Also we lose a huge amount of electricity in the grid itself simply by trying to get the power around. If you could and you can produce your energy locally in a town or in your home etc then there are huge savings in terms of cost and CO2 emissions that can be had.

Certainly from the video you can see how easy it is to run a car on HHO so if you could convert every car to run on water in a very short period of time the CO2 emissions from cars would be almost zero (Newly made cars will create CO2 when they are made) because the by product of burning the Hydrogen is steam, so basically you turn the gas back into water. There are very interesting ways that you can utilise this.

Imagine a power station near the sea. There are many arid or semi areas on the planet that are not too far from the sea and have good all year sun light. California for one and there are hundreds like it. Now if the power station uses sea water which is even better than tap water since salt is a good conductor of electricity buy burning the HHO in a power station you can create power locally which reduces loss in the grid, the by product will be steam which will condense into distilled water which can be used for drinking and agriculture thus decreasing environmental pollution and its sustainable. There are videos on youtube if you are interested that show people doing this at home using HHO to fuel their house and generate electricity in their homes very easily and they don’t even live in a sunny place.

Hope that kind of answered your questionJ

Cheers,

Mike

Managing Director

Mob: (+44) 7771 750 806

www.micazook.com

What is the net benefit when the pollution from the (various and average) electricity generation stations is taken into account?

Re: 99designs.com - feedback

Mehdi Siami
Ironically, water vapour is the biggest "green house gas" e.g. clouds

But seriously Michael, I assume you are a "hamshahri" so I am trying to help. You can't base your knowledge on Youtube videos.

There are lots of ways you can help the environment, but this is not it.

On 7 Apr 2009, at 11:54, Michael Fotoohi wrote:

[...]

Hi Mehdi,

You have some good points.

What is great is that you are all talking about this now which was the intended result. As I said I hope you look at the videos and debate.

Managing Director

Mob: (+44) 7771 750 806

www.micazook.com

What is the net benefit when the pollution from the (various and average) electricity generation stations is taken into account?

Re: 99designs.com - feedback

Doug Lyon

I've been following with interest the thread (and other related ones) about 99 designs, free design templates and competitions etc, some interesting points raised and  i'd love to have your opinions on this:

Throughout my career (and i'm sure i'm not alone!), as a designer up to creative director for predominately London based design and advertising agencies, I have tried to add value to all client relationships and tried to always focus on the work & client business objectives rather than the cost.

This has not always gone down too well with my bosses but my feeling was that if we focused on the long-term value of the agency/client relationship, helping our clients achieve their business objectives without quoting £xxxx every time we moved a mouse,  that this approach would be recognised, leading to a stronger relationship with our clients , where their success would be ours.

Similarly, outside of work, I have used my skills and experience to help friends & family, from websites to wedding invites!, In both cases being helpful and useful has been worthwhile and rewarding.

In part due to the present economic climate, where people are losing their job's, budgets are being cut and money is limited, and in part due to a belief that their may be a better way of working I have set up a design agency with a difference.

Aimed initially at the start-up groups I'm involved with, Mash interactive extends the notion of being useful, helpful and focused on value rather than cost.

To this end, Mash does not  charge for the work  we do, rather,  we invite our clients to pay what they can afford or what they believe the job is worth to their business, after the work is satisfactorily completed. Simple as that, if our clients are happy and successful, we feel we will be to!

The url is www.mashinteractive.com and it should be pretty self-explanatory what we do. I'd love to hear your thoughts, comments, opinions, either on the blog or emailed here, many thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Doug

[...]

Ronny Ager-Wick - Develo Ltd.
Doug,
interesting business model. Reminds me about my favourite doctor/chiropractor/healer/medicine man in a far away barrio in the Philippines. After receiving their treatment, patients simply went to a corner of the room, where they, at their discretion, put money in a bowl. If you have nothing, you're not expected to pay anything. If you are rich, you can still pay what other people normally pay, which is about 60-70p per treatment. Nobody steals from the bowl, that's completely unheard of. He simply collects his money at the end of the day, and treats everybody with the same professionalism, no matter their payment ability. I doubt this is a very profitable business for him generally, but he's more interested in helping people than maintaining his own personal wealth. He's actually a really good doctor, with vast experience and a fantastic use of native medicine instead of commercial ones where possible, and
the result is that sometimes, after he has cured some rich people, he may suddenly receive major gifts out of the blue, sometimes anonymous.
So it actually works in his case, but one important aspect is that the initial "donation" is made cash on delivery. Plus, he has something you don't have - everyone he treats are local, or can be recognized somehow, so not paying their share would be shameful. Here in London, you'll never achieve that effect.

One thing that may become troublesome here in the UK though is that some people seem to use you as a bank, pushing out the payment date so long they forget what you did for them. Are you going to demand quick payment, of whatever amount they are willing to pay, or let them use you as their ow personal credit facility?

Another potential problem is how much time you spend on each client. For example, if someone is planning on paying you £150, because that's what they think it will cost on 99designs, and they don't see the difference, should you spend as much time with them as the ones that are prepared to pay £3k?
Do you agree the amount they pay up front?

Or are you prepared to give away work to unethical and rouge players? I'd love to hear how this goes, and I'm tempted to offer the same, and in some cases I have - to a degree, but I have expenses to pay, both fixed and variable, and I'm not sure if the UK market is ready for this business model.
Good luck, though! :)

~Ronny.
PS: I'm starting up a project now. Do you accept a £1 initial donation and a major contribution when the project has become successful? You see the problem, I've now pushed the risk over to you without feeling very guilty - because I will pay you, but it depends on the project's success.
Avoid becoming a bank, unless you have lots of money and are prepared to accept some defaults...

Doug Lyon wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Doug Lyon-2
Hi Ronnny thanks for your response. my initial client base are companies or individuals that are base in or near to london.

I want to meet them face to face, it?s a good way to start a relationship and I get to fully understand the scope and the objectives of their project and can better gauge whether I can help make a positive difference to their business. (There will be exceptions to this, where we have developed a relationship online)
I will hopefully also be able to gauge whether they aim to take advantage of Mash?s offer and not pay anything. And this might happen , it is a risk, but by focusing on their real need,  doing the best job for them, agreeing a time frame, we are both happy with, having an idea of what they want to pay before we start, developing the relationship and playing a real part in getting their business off the ground from a design perspective, I?m hoping this model will work.

Another point is that we get to work with great people, exciting projects and opportunities and the work we do for these companies is an advert for Mash?s design skills and services, where money is not exchanged for our services, some people may offer their services in return for ours.

The more people Mash work with and pay a reasonable amount that pays our bills and keeps the ?experiment? going, the more able Mash are able to help other people who initially can only pay a nominal amount.

When the business model is not about money but about great work and about what we can do for you rather than  how much money we can make out of you, I feel people will spread the word through a feeling of ?Wow? that?s really helped me, how can I help them?

 A typical business person has?

   * 17 friends  /  colleagues they?re connected to
   * 641 people in their network
   * 5196 topics their network knows about or has a shared interest in

That?s potentially a great audience and if this business model continues to work, I really feel it can make a difference and make my girlfriend believe I?m not mad!

Thanks for taking the time to write back!

I'll be posting replies back with increased regularity on here and also on my my blog at http://www.mashinteractive.com/blog.html

Have a great day

On 15 Apr 2009, at 07:38, Ronny Ager-Wick wrote:

[...]

Doug Lyon wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Creative Director

RE: 99designs.com - feedback

Robert-15
Hi Doug

I'm interested in your concept and also the context of the framework within which you are offering your service. I'm reaching the point of development of a project whereby I'll need to instruct the services of a graphic designer. So far I've received 2 quotes for the work, one is a professional contact the other is someone I know who is prepared to be more flexible on price. My thoughts are to use the professional contact as this sets in place for me the structure within which we will both be operating. I'll be the client and will have the final say in the format of the presentation. The relationship is understood by both of us and there are no woolly areas, no obligation from either side to operate in a certain way, no sense of debt or favours being owed.

However, due to the nature of the project, I'm still interested in your concept and I'm wondering whether it might be worth having a chat. I'm situated below Guildford. Where abouts are you?

Regards,

Robert